HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First ever bow shot at a deer results in terrible miss!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:37 PM
floridabucks

Default First ever bow shot at a deer results in terrible miss!!

What a great day in the woods! I was drawn back on a doe but it did not present a shot. Almost as soon as I let down on the doe, a spike buck comes trotting in from the other direction. I hold draw for at least two minutes with the little buck (you gotta take what you can get in Florida) directly under my stand. Finally he steps back to about 10 yards away and I let my arrow fly.The arrow missed by a solid three feet.

How does this happen from so close? Well, when I let down on my bow the arrow almost always gets bumped off kilter on the rest. Its a Bowtech Hostage so the arrow doesn't actually fall out of the rest, just off the brushes. So I figure when I let down on the doe that I never reset the arrow in the heat of the moment. I'll be aware of that next time.[8D]

I also saw a total of 5 deer for the day. Never in my life have I seen that many deer in a day on a Florida WMA. Overall, I had a blast, but I am kicking myself in the butt for not resetting my arrow.