HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help with Encore Accuracy!!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Drew307
Spike

Default Need help with Encore Accuracy!!!!

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to muzzleloading but I have been an avid rifle and pistol shooter sinceI was a kid. I finally bought an in-line and started shooting it to get familiar with the whole process.I am an accuracy nut, so I am very meticulous inthe loading, firing and cleaning process. The thing is, I haven't been able to shoot better than a 3.25" group at 100 yds.I am going fricken nuts!

pyrodex pellets 100gr. with Hornady 240 xtp... 4" groups
triple 7 pellets 100 gr. with Hornady 240 xtp...4-5" groups
triple 7 pellets 100 gr. with Precision Rifle Qt polymer tip240gr...6-8"
triple 7 pellets 100 gr. with Precision Rifle Dead Center 220 gr...7-9"
triple 7 pellets 100 gr. with Precision Rifle Dead Center 200 gr...8"
Jim shockey's gold 100gr. with hornady 240 xtp...4.5"
American pioneer powder 100 gr. fffgwith T/C mag 300gr...3.25"
American pioneer powder 90 gr. fffg with T/C mag 300gr...4-7"

My process is to load the powder make sure its settled. Seat the sabot to a marked spot on the ram rod. Load primer. Settle gun on shooting bags. A few deep breathes. Pull back hammer. Controlled breathing...relax.Hold crosshairs on target and slowly squeeze the trigger finger until sear is engaged and gun surprises me when it fires. Absolutely no flinching! I then lick 1patch and swab the barrel. Flip it over and repeat.Then 1 dry patch down the barrel flip and repeat. I let the barrel cool6-8 min,load, fire, repeat.

I made sure my leupold scope is sound by swapping iton my .308 Remington, .5" groups.Scope base was tight. My breech pin felt loose, I can easily push it through to the other side with finger. Used a small piece of aluminum pipe tape wrapped around the frame to hold breech pin.I bought a.25 acp conversion breech. I read that the 209 primer has too much power andalot of guys were having accuracyproblems because of it. Factory trigger was set at 3.5lbs.

IfI am doing something wrong please tell me. I am about to use my 209x50 barrel as a trap stake! I would like any advice you can offer to get at least a consistent 2" group at 100yds. I won't be shooting past 200 yds. Thanks guys, DREW