HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rage: are they worth the hype?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 05:59 PM
dblunged

Default RE: Rage: are they worth the hype?

ORIGINAL: arkansasbowhunter

I had to try the 3 blade rages this year as well. I just like to try new things. well in my 2 deer I harvested, both made it less than forty yards with the best entry hole I have ever seen. However, both deer had poor exit holes almost like field point holes IMO.

I shoot a 400gr arow with 60lb draw wt.

first animal quartering away on the ground hunt and shot him with a pass thru but not complete. arrow did fall out of animal about 10 yards from where I shot him. He ran 40 yards and piled up. blood trail was okay not the best I have seen. animal was hit slightly above the knuckle joint on the body. broadhead is no longer any good. one blade is bent, with other 2 blades intact and okay. where the blades fold out and over the rubber band, the ferrule is groved deeply from the blades. IMO, the ferrule is a softer metal than the blades which is why the ferrule was groved after the blades deployed and went thru the ribs.

second deer was shot 26 yards from a treestand quartering away also right at where the knuckle is on the deer.this animal ran 10 steps. the rage left a large entry hole but again small exit hole. no bone was hit other than ribs. all blades were intact this time with no damage. however, again the ferrule was damaged by the blades after they deployed leaving deep grooves in the ferrule.

I am happy that both deer shot were quickly harvested but have mixed feelings about the heads regarding there durability of the ferrule. I can live with a broken blade b/c you can get replacements but with the ferrule damaged by the groves this can be costly b/c I consider the whole head totaled. So, some folks may say I can live with the fact that they harvested an animal and lost a broadhead but I would like to be able to reuse heads and cut costs some. This leaves me with mixed feelings. I do have pictures of the second animals entry and exit holes along with both broadheads if interested.

Has anyone that has harvested animals with the rages looked at there heads afterwards and noticed the groves left in the head by the blades. any experience reusing heads?
I've seen the exact same symptoms on the ferrule and blades bending. I believe once you shoot them once, maybe twice the whole head is pretty much totaled.