HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Customers Broadheads wont fly for crap
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 08:28 AM
HNI Jim

Default RE: Customers Broadheads wont fly for crap

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Barring real form breakdowns I'd have to agree that it might be torque. Although containment rests might be OK for hunting you do have to consider that the arrow is in contact with the rest till it leaves the bow. This makes following through much more imperative. It doesn't take but 1/8" of movement at the bow to equal a foot or more at 20 yards.

Conversely, a drop-away, shoot through, or shoot around rest can be more forgiving in these respects as whenshot the arrow usually has very little contact with the rest.

Something else you touched upon was trying different arrows. Did you try different SPINED arrows? Did you try changing the draw weight of the bow? Few people like to drop the weight of the bow (testosterone?), but this can be a very useful tool in tuning. Probably the least used, but the easiest to do, and the cheapest.

I don't take too much stock in paper tuning. It's very rudimentary to say the least. As you are seeing paper tuning shows you how the arrow is leaving the bow (at a couple feet), but doesn't show squat about what the arrow is doing down range. Sad to say, but I've never had the opportunity to shoot a deer four feet from me.
I agree with you about paper tuning. Thats what the fletching are for right.