HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Open Season Movie
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Open Season Movie

Nathan67: For your son, this experience is likely to arm him against negative hunting and/or anti-gun propaganda in the future. Growing up with a first hand experience of watching you hunt and seeing what hunting is all about -- lawful, regulated hunting leading to taking of game meat which is then featured on the family dinner table. I haven't seen this cartoon, but I didn't like the basic premise of the movie -- hunting is like a war or terrorism on animals. Commonly these movies show nature in a very idealistic and unrealistic fashion and depict hunters to be out-of-step with the beauty of the natural world. I remember in the movie Bambi, perhaps the first of this genre, all the animals of the forest -- grouse, rabbits, squirrels, owls -- are depicted as one happy, supportive family. Last time I checked, owls like to eat grouse, rabbits, and squirrels. Rather than old, affable, wise owl talking to these little creatures, more likely he would be sweeping down in a silent plunge with his talons open ready to rip into the flesh of any callow rabbit not guarding against this eventuality and eat that bunny for dinner! That is the way of nature, and hunters, as top predator, are very much part of that "circle of life" phenomenon.