HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Measuring Black powder load
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 12:29 PM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Measuring Black powder load

ORIGINAL: shooterIII

Hi shooters, I'm new to this site and black powder hunting. As a long time center fire hunter and reloader I have a question about measuring accuracy of black powder. Do you measure the powder on a scale or go by the purchased measure saysand believe the manufacturer. I know in center fire rifle a tenth of a grain can mean the difference in a nail driver load or not. I have just purchased a T/C Omega and getting ready to go to the range and do some expermenting, so any suggestions are appreciate. Also I will be using American Pioneer Powder.
Some people weigh black powder too, but in my experience (started shooting ML in 1954) this is basically a waste of time, because as big a variation in powder as five grains often makes very little difference in MV, as you can check out for yourself with a chronograph.

In addition, it is wise to use a volumetric measure, as many of the BP substitues are designed to be used on a volume-for-volume basis with BP. Therefore, many of the substitutes have very different weight per volume from black. For example,100 grains by volume of Pyrodex RS willweigh between 70 and 80 grains, depending on the LOT NUMBER, and a 100-grain measure of Pyrodex RSwill duplicate 100 grains volumetric measure of GOEX FFg black powder ballistically when used with identical projectiles.

While as little as 1/10 of a grain of smokeless powder can indeed make a real difference in a given application, the same DOES NOT APPLY to black powder. 1/10 of a grain weight of a given smokeless powder contains a WHOLE LOT MORE ENERGY than 1/10 of a grain weight of BP! If this weren't the case, smokeless's only advantage would be the lack of smoke.