HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Biggest deer in Texas (PHOTOS)
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
dws178

Default RE: Biggest deer in Texas (PHOTOS)

Your argument does not follow.

Number 1.) What does it matter if a deer can be entered into the record books? I have never entered a deer contest, nor will I. I have killed a B&C deer on FREE RANGING property (not a purchased hunt if thats what you are wondering), and Iwill not enter it into the books. When it comes down to it, it don't give two $h*ts about having my name on a plaque. That does not raise my self confidence or boost my ego. Just because we have the choice of who hunts our ranch, unlike alot of other hunters as you state, does not make it utterly wrong. Also chief, the record books are not the law.

2.) No deer, or human for that matter,can exceed its genetic potential. Potential is what something is CAPABLE of becoming. Also, deer are not people and therefore should not be treated as such. Even if you would like to take that stance in the argument, it still makes no sense. Damn near every athlete takes those evil protein supplements, yet they are still allowed to enter the record books. So what exactly was your point?

3.) What is the problem with knowing where a buck lives? Do you not search for rubs and scrapes or shed antlers? Do you not scout before the season starts? In addition, helicopter surveys are usually intended to gather data about population numbers and buck to doe ratios, not simply locating where bucks live. You can do that in a much more economical fashion.

4.) I agree that it is not the same as hunting the Adirondacks. Why would it be? We are in Texas, a very different part of the country. We have one of the largest whitetail herds in the country; deer are not a scarcity. They are actually overpopulated in many places, as they are throughout much of the country. If you are trying to make the point that deer that consume proper nutrition are illegitimate in the record books, are you crazy? Do you think that the bucks that grace the top lines of the all-important record books did not consume proper nutrition? They do not grow 300 inches of antler on a 5% protein diet, I assure you.

I realize you are not bashing. You are debating, but your argument lacks a logical foundation.