HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Extra Elk! Very Good News.... Well, Maybe
Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default Extra Elk! Very Good News.... Well, Maybe

From The Denver Post:

"A northwest Colorado elk herd is two to three times larger than originally believed, state wildlife officials say.

The Bears Ears herd is now estimated at 23,000 to 45,000, state Division of Wildlife officials said. Previous estimates put the herd at 11,000 to 15,000 animals."
12,000 to 30,000 Extra Elk!
Thank God for wolf free zones.... I wonder when the last time there was aheadline declaring a major elk managment herd size being two or three times larger than what they had originally thoughtup in Idaho/Montana/NW Wyoming? [:@]

[Note: Bears Ears Herd is adjacent to the WhiteRiver/Flat Tops Herd (the largest in the world), but just a bit north (In the area I hunt.)]

Iam hoping CDOW will offeradditional late issuetags in order to make an "adjustment" to the population to get it more in line with game management objectives. I'm always looking to do my part to help CDOW manage the game populations.

I've got two elk tags now (1st Special Rifle Season: 1 bull/cow from the first draw & 1 cow from the leftover draw) and then getting a late issue tag would make three. Three elk would be a tall, but fun order to try to fill.... might need an extra horse. Multiple elk tags mean I will want the tracking jobs to be short, real short, as in non-existent.... especially if I can get into aherd that are confused by the ambush. Probably go with the 375 H&H or 416 Rigby.