HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - proccessing your own deer
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Sea Monkey
Spike

Default RE: proccessing your own deer

I process my own deer mostly because there isn't a processor within an hour of my house. Plus, it can get expensive and I don't like trusting someone I don't know to take care of the game as well as I would (refrigeration, contaminated surfaces, etc). I've only been hunting a couple of years and you get the hang of it pretty quickly. There used to be a great video put out by the state of Kentucky that showed exactly how to bone out a deer in just a few minutes. However, I don't think it is online anymore.

I'm different than most of the old timers I hunt with in that I bone the deer, except for the front shoulder, while it's hanging from the gambrel. It really cuts down on the volume of what you have to bring home. Once I get home, I just trim up the meat to clean it up and then divide it into portions before vacuum bagging it for the freezer. Backstraps I cook on the grill with marinade and bacon. The rumps usually get turned into jerky. The shoulder and scraps get cut 50/50 with ground pork shoulder to make sausage. The sausage is a lot easier than you would think. You just need a grinder and a stuffer.