HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sometimes you just have to be honest .............
Old 02-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Lilhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sometimes you just have to be honest .............

Hey Don,

The guy I went on my elk hunt lives in your neck of the woods somewhere. His name, Dan Bisone. I'll email him for ya, and maybe you two can hook up. He is a diehard bow hunter and does it with a recurve.

I think there is more at play then just shooter error here. Many search for the perfect bow, few search very far for the perfect arrow!
Also being able to dedicate a ton of time to it is another factor. You cant shoot a couple days a month, really hit it hard july and aug and expect to be the next Byron, it just wont happen.

Gap, point of aim shooting can help you. Once you get good with it you wont rely on it as much more see the arrow but concentrate on the target (or Hills style of shooting split vision). After that it all goes. You need to calibrate your brain and zero out from time to time. If not its garb in garb out. Even if its good after awhile or a slight lay off things go astray. Back to re calibrating. There is a reason the good guys shoot almost daily. After many years of this they can lay off for days or even weeks and still go back and hit asprins.

I'd hate to see someone give up something they enjoy so much for it is in these things we find peace of mind. Without them life goes on almost meaningless. Be it family, church, work, bow hunting or archery, fly fishing, the list could go on and on.

Last but not least dont count yourself out cuz you cant break nocks at 20 yards. I have killed 2 animals at mere feet, 2 less then 12 steps, 1 at 15 yards. Getting close is why I bowhunt. I would assume its the same for you. So if ya only feel comfortable shooting 10 yards, shoot only 10 yards. Put that stand up in a position where you'll get your 10 yard shot. Sometimes we can make things harder then they seem (perfectionists if you will). But in all reality its that easy. We dont take up the sport for the amount of game we kill. Its obvious that shotgun and rifle hunters can stack up some impressive numbers for the limited amount of time they can hunt.

Last but not least I respect your desicion immensly as very very few are truthful enough with themselves to do this. Not hunt, most will go and shoot 20 yards anyways giving themselves and the sport a bad name. I'll share a campfire any day with ya with whatever weapon you choose to roam with.