HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone shooting pistols for deer in archery season?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:09 AM
mwaite

Default RE: Anyone shooting pistols for deer in archery season?

No, you can't use a pistol during archery season in Iowa. Either he's misinformed or it was a typo. You can use any pistol over .357 caliber shooting straight wall ammunition during the regular gun season, so no T/C with a .30/06, sorry guys. I used my .44 mag when I lived there for a couple seasons. It was lethal medicine for sure, as long as I could hit what I was aiming at. I found that I could shoot fine at inanimate targets all day just fine, but would totally choke when a deer was in front of me. I gave it up after I wounded 2 yearling doein the late antlerless season. I recovered one and lost the other. I picked up a used winchester 1300 witha fully rifled barrel, and my problem was solved. I think I was more pointing than aiming with the handgun. I think there was a barrel length requirement also, but can't recall for certain. Kudos for him not picking up a bow if he's not confident with it. Shoot what you're comfortable with, just be careful when that adrenaline kicks in.