HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nature or us? Who's our worst enemy?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Nature or us? Who's our worst enemy?

Were I live you are your farmers worst enemy for letting deer walk. Not to mention someones car.

You are correct, in most places deer really don't have any natural enemies other than us and themselves. That is why we hunt them, so the numbers don't supposedly get out of control. We can't figure out how to stop building and taking up land, and they don't know to stop breeding (apparently we don't either[&o]) so something has to be done.

As far as you being in control over what deer you see or how long they live, not really. Maybe if you hunt a large piece of land and you know no one else hunts it. Where I hunt it wouldn't matter, because if I didn't shoot it the chances are someone else will, especially during shotgun season.

You also run the risk of the deer becoming pretty much nocturnal. Were I used to hunt there were some very nice deer, unfortunately they didn't venture onto our property until after shooting ours. Your only hope of killing one was during rut or during the first few days of gun season when he might be bumped out of his normal pattern.

My worst enemy is that I'm not rich. Because honestly it is getting to the point that if you don't own a lot of land or have a butt load of money to lease it you are screwed. And I'm not talking about trophy hunting, just hunting period.

I think I'm going to become a trophy woodchuck hunter, I don't think I will have to lease land for that. YET. besides they are easier to drag out and cheaper to have mounted.

Anyone want to trade a slug hunter deluxe for a decent 22-250?

Paul