HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Slick Trick flight question . . .
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:18 AM
davepjr71
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slick Trick flight question . . .

ORIGINAL: mauser06

out of a poorly tuned bow i bet they still fly differently.

one day hunters will stop listening when they say "flies like a fieldpoint" any broadhead maker that says that is just fishing for suckers. most all broadheads will fly like a fieldpoint....out of a well tuned bow that has been broadhead tuned shooting well matched arrows...last year i shot 5 different broadheads and 2 styles of fieldpoints and they ALL shot the same. 4 of the broadheads were fixed heads and ALL of the arrows hit in the same group...why? because my bow was broadhead tuned...
well put mauser

The shorter heads are less affected by planing than their longer cousins are due to the shorter blades not getting steered as much by the air that passes over and around the blade. Less surface area means less influences by outside forces. So, if your bow isn't quite tuned right and the head starts off a little in any direction but straight it will be less affected by the air it's cutting through. If your bow is just a little out of tune the arrow flies like a field tip. If it's a lot out of tune the arrow doesn't hit the same as your field tip.

A lot of people say their bow is tuned because it was put through paper and wonder why the broadheads don't fly right. You can get a good tear and still not have a tuned bow. You can also get a bad tear and have a bow that shoots broadheads like field tips.