HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big Name guys...
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 AM
iamyourhuckleberry
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Name guys...

Personally, I avoid generalizations and assumptions. I do my homework and base my opinion, pertaining to the task at hand or the individual, on fact. Here are a few facts I know:

Both Jim Zumbo And Jim Shockey run guiding services (hunter becomes teacher, scout, etc...they've managed to blend the best of both worlds). Both men have killed numerous animals on their own-be it low fence, high fence, free range. open range , down range...these two individuals have got-r-done. Both have traveled the world hunting. Both have seen plentyand have plenty toshare with the rest of us. Did you know Zumbo haskilled a deer in all fifty states? I wonder how he did that? Some states don't allow baiting...and it wasn't all done with a guide service. Zumbo has killed everything North America has to offer and then some (exception: Coyote with AR). These two men simply love to hunt (What's wrong with that?)

Gary Bogner was the first man to complete SCI's World Hunting Award Program with archery equipment. Again, nearly every animal he killed was free ranging (there are exceptions). Many of the animals were killed without the aid of a guide. He huntspredominately with a cameraman-while spot and stalking. He's done the grand slam of north american sheep twice (I'm unaware ofa wild sheep hunt behind high fence-I think he can tell you a thing or two about altitude sickness). A guy by the name of Archie Nesbitt was the second man to complete SCI WHAP. I would die to share a beer and swap stories with either of these men! By the way, Gary's a guide also.

I'll stop the list there and spare DM the hassel of reading further.

Bottom line...

There's still plenty for us to learn if we keep open minds. To discount these fellow's adventures, because they're not yours, is doing yourself a huge disservice. Not allbig names huntersare the "Momma's boy"as portrayed. Again, there always exceptions...

I for one will embrace insight-when it's offered. It's a heck of a lot more useful, at least in my life, than trying to find and dwelling overthe tarnish on another man's armour.