HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big Name guys...
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 10:24 PM
fetzeriiif

Default RE: Big Name guys...

ORIGINAL: goos_blues

I think the way the professionals hunt, is lot different than they way I and anybody else I know hunts. Honestly, I dont think they would much advice to offer. I think alot of the professionals would feel awkward on the this site, since they would probably learn more, than they could actually ever teach anyone. Idon'tvisit the archers choice forum verymuch because of this. Not thatI have anything against them, I would more than likely make of living off of hunting IfI could too. However; whenit comes to advice,the professionals probably havemuch less to offer as compared toother people on this site.
I agree for the most part. While some of these guys and gals are probably excellent hunters or were at one time excellent hunters, it seems like most of them do verylittle of there own hunting. They get on the camera and talk about scouting, tree stand placement, etc. , but when it comes down to it, 95% of there hunts are guided. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with a guided hunt. When you go to a different state and are required to kill something large or you kids don't eat, what choice do you have. I just wonder what kind of advice be given bysomeone that has all of their scouting done for them, their treestands or blinds setin place before they get there, are driven to their stand by their guide, often told which deer they can or can't shoot, put on the very best spot the guide has to offer (free advertisement), and have their kill tracked, gutted, dragged, etc. for them. The only thing these guides don't do for them, is tie the deer to the tree. What advice could they offer, other than "make sure you promise to say the outfitters name five times so he'll put you on his biggest deer". I am amazed at all of the people that get on here and complain about high fence hunting on tv. "I'll never watch **** because I saw a high fence in the background", but no one says anything about the guy sitting over a food plot that someone else planted, hunting a deer that someone else paterned, and sitting in a blind that someone else built and placed in a perfect location. If you ask me there is no difference.

Even though I think of most of the TV hunting as what you guys call "canned hunts", I still really enjoy watching them for hours on end if I can't actually be out hunting of fishing. I also understand why they hunt how they do. How else could they get the amount of trouphy animals that there job requires. Also nothing against other hunters on here that hunt in the same manner. There is nothing wrong with it and often is the best way if hunting far from home. What I don't want is to get advice on hunting whitetails from a guy that thinks he is an expert, because he got a big buck in Kansas, even though all he did was show up and do what he was told. I am always more receptive to getting advice from someone that actually put all of the work in to harvest their trophy.

Maybe the guides for the tv personalitys can come on here and give advice, or maybe they already do.