HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cornfield tactics
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 PM
WoodsStealth

Default RE: Cornfield tactics

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

ORIGINAL: WoodsStealth

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Find out when they are going to harvest the corn and be ready to adjust quickly when they do. If the corn is still standing when you start hunting don't be surprised do see deer movement almost any time of the day. Find some of the areas the deer will usually fliter into the field from and post up around therewith the wind in your favor and be prepared to spend a couple of hunts just doing some recon.Also, between the corn and water asourceis often a good location early seasonas well. Once the corn is cut the deers comfortlevel usually drops. They will hit the corn hard after it is cutbutdon't be surprised if they go back to early morning late evening feeding.
You know what would surprise me? If you actually knew what you were talking about...........thats what would surprise me. "don't be surprised if you see deer movement almost anytime of the day" Tell me Mr. Tigger Suit" instead of a whole paragraph wouldn't a simple,
Deer like to feed early and late in tall or freshly cut corn.
As far as between the corn and a water source, its not like we hunt in the dessert, there are too many sources of water available to make a difference in stand selection. Game trails are the best indication of the routes the deer use to acess the corn.
Just to clarify, the point I was making about the corn was that in my experience (where I hunt)when the corn was still up the deer used it as cover (all during the day)andafter it was cut they stayed back in their "normal" bedding cover until late evening and you could catch them coming from the field back to that cover early morning (kinda back to the feeding schedules they had prior to the corn).That's alittle bit different than your summary.

Where I hunt there are multiple water sources toobut some definitely get more trafficand I have found thathad a lot to do with theirproximity to foodand cover. I definitely use that info when considering stand locations.

Also, just in case anyone was wondering, ifI lived in a "dessert" I would want mine to be homemadeStrawberry Cheesecake. That would be tasty.
Bored? Your bored? I'll see if I can find you something to do. Now get off the damn internet and get back to work!!!! You have cranes to inspect.

............and yes I am an arsehole, most bosses are...............