HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 12Ga. or 20Ga. Slug Gun? Need your opinion!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:45 PM
whitetailcrazy
Fork Horn

Default RE: 12Ga. or 20Ga. Slug Gun? Need your opinion!

I have the 12Ga in the deluxe model, and my father has the 20Ga. in the deluxe model. I have consistently shot deer at 116, 119, and the furthest was 126 yards. But I am buying a graduation gift for a nephew who is 18 and I know he can handle a 12, but is the ballistics of the 20Ga. better? I have shot both and its nice when you shoot the 20 and laugh about the recoil, but how much energy does it lose at 120-140 yards. Because in my experience with those guns, its the only gun out there that can stack bullets at 100 yards. We hunt from stands so the weight is not an issue!! But the less kick is nice, because when sighting-in, concentrating on the target and not worrying about the recoil I think is key. We're only hunting deer, that's why the energy loss at 100+ yards is not significant enough to be a factor...... But that's why i would like your opinions, to see what you believe..... I should take into consideration...... I'm sort of leaning toward the 20,,,,, just thinking about time at the range....

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s121/whitetailcrazy/?action=view¤t=1171819004.pbw