HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Government Habitat Programs
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 08:35 PM
yeoman
Typical Buck

Default RE: Government Habitiat Programs

KS Hunter - an outline of sorts

CRP - conservation reserve program - pays you not to plant pretty much any ground - national average around $50/acre

CREP- conservation reserve enhancement program - pays around$75/acre - targets sensitive areas for water quality generally within 300' of waterways. warm season grasses, cool season grasses or reforestation options

WRP- wetlands reserve program - they'll pay 75-100% of cost to develop wetlands depending on length of time on easement - 15 or 30 years - more restrictive recently

WHIP- wildlife habitat improvement program - cost sharing to 75% for establishing native warm season grasses and trees

I'd recommend two contacts:

NRCS - natural resource conservation service and your state forest service. You might work through the forest service or department of natural resources to get the contact at NRCS. I did that here in Maryland and felt as though that may have helped with the reception I received, partly because i knew who to ask for and because I got an education before getting there. NRCS has the power over the first 3 programs so do not rub anyone wrong there.

Good luck and hope you fulfill the dream.