HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - weak/stiff spline...proper arrow weight, all that good stuff.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:33 AM
TFOX
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: weak/stiff spline...proper arrow weight, all that good stuff.

ORIGINAL: Pops423

But what are the advantages/disadvantages to shooting to weak or heavy of an arrow?

If I'm too weak, is there a safety issue from it? Will the arrow explode? I doubt it but I'm curious.

I'm sure it would be faster with a lighter arrow, but does that mean I won't get enought penetration?

There are NO advantages to shooting too weak of an arrow.Yes,they can be dangerous and explode if EXTREMELY weak and the spine will weaken much quicker due to the excessive osscilation.Weak arrows are not as accurate as properly spined arrows,period.

Heavy or stiff spine will be much more forgiving to shooting issues than weakbut you can still have tuning issues with a stiff spine but it usually requires the arrow to be WAY stiff to show.There are some forgiveness factors than can show up as well with stiff arrows but most people can't see them at hunting distances.

A slightly stiff arrow will help with broadhead flight as well,because the stiffer arrow helps to keep the broadhead from taking over in flight and planing on you.

Heavy arrows will help bust bone but penetration has way more variables than that.