HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - flattened primers
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 03:49 PM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: flattened primers

I just finished reading an article by a well-knownchronograph maker. This man is an expert, and I really read and value anything he is willing to share with us!

In this articlehe states that in the last couple of decades, many publishers of reloading data, and other reloaders too, have begun to learn that a lot of loading data that people had been using with no apparent problems was actually quite a bit "over the limit". So those powder charges have been reduced in many instances.

According to this article, neither case head expansion, "pressure ring" expansion, primer pocket expansion, etc. etc., can be counted upon for decision making regarding our data. Iassume thesedevelopments account for at least some of the quite noticeable reductions in maximum load data we have observed in the more recent manuals.

Actually, there is really no doubt about it. None of the "classic pressure signs" we have been watching for years really tells us what the pressure actually is. So from this point of view, I will agree that without some reliable means of actually measuring the pressures developed by our loads IN THE RIFLE WE DEVELOPED THE LOAD IN, (this factor is very significant, as all rifles are individuals!!) we are just guessing! And, even if a particularload of ours has "given no signs of excessive pressures" over the years,it is conceivable that that load is so close to being excessive that a particular round might very well "jump" beyond that level, since each round is going to produce a somewhat different peak pressure level.

However, what concerns me is HOW the industry decides what an "overmaximum" load actually is. By this I mean, HOW did the authorities decide where to set the upper limit for a given cartridge! The problem most of us face is a lack of an accurate, consistent pressure measuringmethodology that can be used with each of our individual guns. As a matter of fact, it seems to me that even the industry is not convinced that their systems arefoolproof either. For example, some are still arguing over CUP vs PSI! (BTW, there is NO RELIABLE means for converting one measurement to the other!)

Therefore, since I lack the needed equipment, not to mention the expertise to use it, I fully intend to continue loading ammunition based on the premise that thebrass cartridge case is the weakest link in any firearm/cartridge system I presently load for, and to continue using "number of reloadings per lot of cases" to judge whether my loads are acceptable. Additionally, when developing loads for specific weapons, I will still use the "tealeaf" methods to decide when I need to cut a maximum load back five or ten percent! What is the alternative, after all?