HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - String Setup
Thread: String Setup
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 05:24 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: String Setup

I don't have just one answer to that question because I don't limit myself to only one shooting style. Usually, especially for hunting, I shoot fingers/barebow and have only a bare string. Just a nock point and catwhiskers.

For 3D and field archery, I play around and shoot different classes. When I want to shoot a pins/fingers class, I put a sight and a peep on the bow. If I want to shoot pins/release class, I put a loop on it.

I've never used a kisser. If you've worked up a good, reliable anchor with multiple references - solid main anchor point, peep, nose touching the string for instance - a kisser is completely unnecessary.

Not to pick on Washington Hunter, but he's the one who brought it up... I do not subscribe to the round pin guard theory. If you've got that good, reliable anchor, just pick the correct pin for the distance and let your eye automatically center that pin in the peep as you put it where you want your arrow to go. Really, your eye does it all by itself with no effort on your part, assuming you've got anything close to normal vision.

Your concentration should be totally on the target, not divided amongst the pin guard, however many pins are inside that pin guard and the target. All you should see at anchor is the target with a little colored ball right where you intend to aim.

It wasn't that long ago that the bowhunter freestyle classes in NFAA weren't even allowed to have pin guards on their sights. We were allowed five pins and cheaters could fix up their pin guards to work as two extra pins. We did some awfully fine shooting without them.