HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - i'd appreciate some help
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2003, 11:37 AM
rockytop
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i'd appreciate some help

Welcome to the world of hunting. It's pretty awsome, even when your luck is a little sour. Buckmagnet gave you some good pointers. I'd suggest start reading all the topics on this thread that you can. When you have a question, ask, but read all you can first. This board is about hunting but, it's also about ethics, laws, and safety. It's not only about harvesting animals, but preserving animals and habitat.
Now is a great time to get in the woods and start learning. Most hunting seasons are over but the wildlife are still there and still extremely wary. Walk in the woods, notice the different tracks and sign, get use to being aware of the wind and it's direction. Practice walking in the woods and keeping the wind in your face. Sometimes that takes a knowledge of your terrain to figure out where to start and use the wind to your advantage. Good deer hunters use this time of year to place stands for next season and to scout.
Different types of wildlife have different sensors that are there best defenses. Deer can see tiny movements from great distances but can't see you sitting in from of them if your motionless and odorless.
I've been hunting for 40 years and am still learning, just get out there and get started.