HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - dog just bit my arm
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 01:11 AM
SWOSUMike

Default RE: dog just bit my arm

I hate the thought, but a dog that is genetically aggressive is a bigger problem in my opinion than one that was poorly socialized. The reason is they can snap at any time. It's kind of like a pointing breed locating and pointing a bird. It comes natural for them, and a dog bred to point birds will do it, maybe even if it never was taught and only kept as a pet.

A dog that does something inherently can't necessarily be stopped 100%. You hear about certain aggressivebreeds that "are the nicest dogs" most of the time, then suddenly they turn and hurt someone. The owner can be the best owner ever--it doesn't matter. Genetics can take over at some point regardless of environment.

I have decided that there are too many good dogs out there that have everything going for them to spend my time with one that doesn't suit me. But I wish you luck with your dog. Maybe you can suppress it enough if it is genetics, or maybe you can address any other issue it might be and end up with a dog that is just fine and a pleasure to have around.

But you might also be in a real fix if your dog does hurt someone and you knewall along that it was likely. All dog owners assume some risk to that degree, butthe owner ofa dog who is knowingly aggressivewould feel awful if the dog got lose and hurt someone.But it sounds like you are willing to put in the work. That'sprobably the best thing!-MIKE