HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What buck haunts you???
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 08:49 AM
ben673

Default RE: What buck haunts you???

On our farm we had a buck we called "Horse Buck". The first time anyone saw him my dad missed him in rifle season of 03' and said he was easily the biggest deer he had ever seen. My dad was 50 at the time and has hunted since he was 12. I saw him in the same field 10 days later, right before dark, through binoculars, he looked like he was a perfect 10pt, about 22' inside, with at least 10' G2's. I estimated what I thought he would score using a B&C score sheet, I came up with a net score of 172'. My brother also saw him in the same field and we all came to the same conclusion, a B&C class monster. The next summer we saw the buck about 3 times in one of our alfalfa fields in the evening, he looked unreal in velvet. That fall was the last time anybody saw him, my brother pulled out of my parets drive way and as his head lights went across the field the buck stood up out of the clover at 50 yards broad side. My brother stopped and through up his binoculars, he said the deer looked like a horse with horns on his head, hense the name. My brother said the deer would have probably weighed 250 pounds and had at least 10' more horn. We never found a shed horn, and never got a trail camera picture, but hunting and scouting for this deer taught me a lot about deer paterns on our farm and deer hunting in general. A world class buck in south central Missouri is very rare, and even though no one killed it was awsome to see him and we learned a lot from "Horse Buck".