HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow Squaring?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 07:08 AM
gibblet

Default RE: Arrow Squaring?

i have a stone that came w/ some easton axis arrows. when i don't feel like squaring both ends of the shafts w/ my g5, i use that tool. i put it on the floor and do the arrow like i was starting a fire. even w/ a real good blade and arrow saw, there are burrs on the cut end of the shaft i want off. the insert and nock will never sit squarely on and in the shaft when there are burrs on the tips of the shaft. squaring only the inserts won't help at all w/ this. also, if you'll notice, most inserts do have just a small amount of play, and having a squared shaft helps them seat properly. if you're not cutting your own arrows - and you're not at lens shop or another real good one- you're getting shafts that were most likely cut and had the inserts glued in w/out even having any of the burrs removed.

no matter which 'grade' arrows i've bought, i've gotten more w/ good flight when i've taken time to take care of the ends properly.

people, please be careful. there are quite a few newer fellows thatdon't really know much, but pass off likethey do. this kind of thing bothers me because some folks who know about as much, or less, don't know the difference between someone who acts like they know what they're talking about - and someone who really does.this happens every few months. folks thinking they can bs their way into some sort of stripe earning - for some unknown reason. some of the things i've read in this post are supreme evidence for what i'm talking about. my best advice would be to read len's posts, and if jeffb just happens to chime in for his every 6 month visit- listen to him too.