HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - shooting bareshaft?????
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 01:53 PM
sandilands
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting bareshaft?????

Actually I just bought the bow in march. I had intended to go for bear this spring but a few issues with my new bow came up.......... I had already donated my old bow to a deserving young individual[:@]and I really didn't want to go w/muzzleloader or rifle. I had my heart set on doing my first bear hunt w/archery equipment[&o]. I do appreciate your concern and I am in the same camp. I had help tuning my last bow and am in the process of trying to learn to do it myself. Black bear season starts Apr 23 and goes to jun 10........... I haven't been on stand once and have 2 bait sights that need to be filled 3x a week........ since the second week of apr[&o][:@].
I have been hunting w/bow for 2yrs now....... and shooting for 7. It took me 5yrs to get to the level that I wanted to be at.And even then my max range was only 20yds. I simply wasn't confident in my shooting ability past this distance and let animals walk on a daily basis that were just beyond that 20yd mark. In 2 yrs I have taken 4 whitetails w/bow. One at 7yds then 15, 17 and 21yds[:-]. Whats a yard b/w friends. I have had 3 pass thru's and the one that didn't pass through hit HEAVY bone on exit....... the deer went 60yds and died.
I understand that if my arrow does not fly true it will not penetrate properly........ hence the reason for me not to sit on my bear stand until I have these issues corrected. A couple of the guys that I know don't tune their bows and have never had a pass-thru....... drawing 15lbs more. Last yr the guy started to blame his broadhead. He was using muzzy' and I was using SlickTricks. Len I take no offence to what you said.......... I agree w/your post 100%! But I think you have mistaken me for someone else. And Bgfisher Unethical..... I think not. Uneducated....... maybe a little, but Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm on a different part of the learning curve than many but that is why I am here. TO LEARN. Look at my post count and how long I have been a member. For the most part I come here to read and to learn from people that have more knowledge than me........ thus shortening the learning curve.
This is something I see here and on other sights all the time. veteran archers/hunters pouncing on the rookies when they don't have the knowledge that you have. Untilsome of the veterans realize that they had to startsomewhere to get where they are todaythen the younger guys/gals are going to feel like not posting their questions. Lets try some positive reinforcement(sp)........ its been proven to work better.
So now back to the topic. Like was stated above I thought I had some nock pinch and corrected that. My bareshaft/fltched group improved. The bareshaft is still flying nose down albeit better than B4. But the POI is about 1" lower than my fletched arrow. I am now going to move my rest down in small increments. Do you think this is the path I should take. And not to sound facetious but I hope this post has earned me the respect of some of the more veteran shooters/hunters........ not to sound like topdawgwoofwoof[X(]and I will get the help that I'm asking for. And please note I am asking for help so I don't turn into one of those guys that everybody cringes at.