HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - shooting bareshaft?????
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Len in Maryland

Default RE: shooting bareshaft?????

sandilands:

This is your original post:
What should happen? I was out shooting today and decided to shoot bareshaft. My arrow is flying nose down and tail up. That cant be good. I mostly just hunt but would like to have my rig tuned, is this a good start?

This part of it, however, really hit a nerve if I interpret it correctly:
I mostly just hunt but would like to have my rig tuned, is this a good start?

The way I interpret this is that you've been hunting without a tuned rig, but would like to tune your rig for some 'other' purpose. This purpose more than likely is to be a better target shooter???

I see this many times at my shop andyou seem to have provided a forum platform for me to address this issue. If I've interpreted your statement wrong, I apologize, but I'll proceed to explain why this should be addressed anyway.

A tuned system is much more important for hunting than it is for tournament.First, atournament rig does not use fixed broadheads. Arrows can leave the bow 'tail high' and the fletching will straighten it out within a given distance. As long as the grouping is 'controlled', the method of arrival, even if it's not a straight line, is acceptable.

Hunting arrows, if not maximizing a straight path to the animal, loose energy on the way and affect penetration. If the hunting arrow does not impact the animal in a straight line, the arrow can bend on impact and also affect penetration. Look at it as a train or tractor trailer impacting an object; the tail will try to 'come around.'

Tuning, IMPO, should be more critical for a hunting rig. There are many reasons for this, but the main reason is respect for the animal.

Thank you foryour indulgence in this matter. It's something that is very passionate to me.