HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help me pick a new deer rifle
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 08:52 AM
ButchA
Giant Nontypical

Default Help me pick a new deer rifle

Hey there... I need some opinions on a new deer rifle.

I mean there's like, 9000 different varieties of deer rifles in all flavors for deer hunting. I want a light, quick, bolt action with a 3x9 scope.

I hunt in the thick heavy woods of the Nat'l Forest of Virginia with a trusty old Marlin 30-30 which I love using. It's got plain open sights and is real quick to bring up on target. I won't part with it... I am just looking for something to accompany the 30-30.

Recoil sometimes is not an issue, but a heavy loaded 30-06 would be probably the same (or more) as a 12GA with a slug. I'm not a wuss, but my shoulder doesn't appreciate the bash and smash of a high recoil rifle or shotgun after a few rounds of practice/sighting in.

Facts:

- I still plan on hunting the thick woods with the 30-30 but will also hunt a farm field from time to time and need something with a 3x9 scope that will be double the range of a 30-30, and still be light and quick to aquire the target.

- I'm not planning on going to Colorado and knockinga Bighorn Ram off a rocky ledge at 600 yards, nor flying to Alaska to take down a Grizzly. (no offense to big game hunters...)

- I'm somewhat of an old-school traditionalist with firearms (hence my love for an open sighted old 30-30).

- Primary use for the lightweight bolt action rifle is whitetail deer overlooking a farm field. Maximum shot could be 150-200 yards at best.

My personal thoughts: I am looking at short action bolts, like a .308 or maybe a .243. All my rifle cleaning supplies, rods, patches, bore snakes, etc... is for .30 cal rifles. What is the general opinion of the .308 rifle?

Thanks.

Butch A.