HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - POLICE TOOK MY GUNS...ILLEGALLY....PLEASE HELP
Old 04-14-2007, 07:09 PM
CamoCop
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: POLICE TOOK MY GUNS...ILLEGALLY....PLEASE HELP

i can't speak for any law enforcement agency outside of my state of certification (Florida) BUT if you feel you are being wronged, contact an attorney. most attorny's will talk to you for free. it sounds to me that they are trying to pull some kind of "shady" practice over you BUT i am not there nor do i know all of the circumstances. afterall, we are only hearing your side of the story. from what you have told us, it "sounds" like they are over acting. like i said, i am not familiar with your state's laws but here we have what is called a "Baker Act". this is an act that provides doctors and law enforcement with the ability to take subjects involuntarily to a designated mental treatment facility for evaluation purposes. however, to do this the subject must meet certain criteria for the " Baker Act". i have personally never taken anyone's guns because of a "Baker Act". i have called a close relative of that person to take possession of the guns untill the situation was taken care of. we as a police department only take guns for criminals reasons or if a persons residence is going to remain empty for quite sometime due to death or illness. when this happens, we contact a family member to take possession of the guns so we are not viewed as violating anyones constitutional rights.