HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ELK DECOY
Thread: ELK DECOY
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 03:03 PM
BareBack Jack
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ELK DECOY

Dayna,
I've only used it3 timeslast year andhad elk all 3timescome in.So I guess it would be a 100%.
The first time was when I got a bull to bark,I set it up and started to cow call with a hyper lip and a mouth diaghphram.
The 2nd was I was set up by a spring or seep that had some rut activity around it.I saw a spike on the far end.I moved around a small knoll and set it up.I cow called and he would look at it but go back to drinking.So I ripped a HUGE bugle and tossed in some cow/calf chirps and he came running.He came to about 28 inches,cause thats when I poked him in the leg with my arrow.
The 3rd was about the last weekend of archery,it was cold and rainy/snow.I hiked to a ridge and started glassing.I saw about 25-30 head elk all accross a hill side feeding.I slipped down into the bottom and bugled.I got two bulls to respond soIset-up the decoy again.This time I got a shooter coming in he came to about 10 yds and turned,he bugled and walk to go behind the cow.His head low he sniffed her and CRASH!!!!! he whirled and was gone.
The problem is I set-up behind her(the decoy) and I had no shot on the lower elevation I was on.
So I learnd a few lessons to grow from and pass on to you.Thats why I say stay out front or to the side and don't let them smell it.
BBJ