HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sabots
Thread: Sabots
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 12:49 PM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sabots

44857, my suggestion ............

As an Illinois deer hunter I have been slug hunting my entire life. I've shot alot of slugs. I've been using a rifled barrel shotguns for about 15 years I guess.

I am quite familiar with the NEF/H&R guns. I have been shooting my 12 gauge USH Deluxe since they were released in 1995 (?) and I also have a 20 gauge standard USH my boys use.

I've trying all the various sabot offerings over the years. What about 30 or 40of them? Each and every one of them promoted as better, faster, more accurate, more lethal, more this, more that.

Paul is quite right in that most USH owners don't get too good of results from the faster offerings. Most likely due to the twist rate of the rifling. And the guys whoare telling you that each gun can have it's own preference are telling you straight. But finding out what most like is the smart way to go. IMO taking what they say and starting thereis a good start.

I shoot non-sabot slugs from my 12. Brenneke 3" Gold Magnums and
2-3/4"Heavy FieldMagnums. I haven't been able to get any better accuracy from any of the sabots I've experimented with. Some sabots can almost duplicate the accuracy, but most deliver noticably worse accuracy in my 12 gauge.

Then there's the cost factor. Maybe $7 for a box ofGold Mags, $5 for Heavy Field Magnums. Versus what $15/box minimumfor sabots with many near $20/box or more depending on where you shop.

Then there's the performance aspect, which is different than the accuracy aspect. I like to hit my deer with the biggest, heaviest projectile possible. The Gold Mags are weighing in at a remarkable 1-3/8 oz. and the Heavy Field Mags are 1-1/4 oz. By sighting in at about 75 yards you just aim at the boiler room and an 1-1/2" up or down still drops them in their tracks with a good shot. I speak the truth and anyone who has shot a deer with these can attest they kill deer real good!

I used to shoot the Remington CopperSolids in the 20 gauge because I had come across a great quantity of them at a remarkable price. They werepretty darn accurate but I wasn't super impressed with their knock down. Then when the Remington's were gone we tried a few other sabots but they all pretty much were the same in accuracy. I also tried the Brenneke 3" magnums and settled on these as once again we found very good accuracy and the heavier projectile.

You wouldn't be doing justice if you didn't try out some Brenneke offerings. You can check out Brenneke stuff at:
http://www.brennekeusa.com/

My other suggestion is trying the Remington BuckHammers. They blast a full 1-1/4 oz. from their 2-3/4" load and are also under $10. We're shooting those from a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with a rifled and scoped slug barrel with great results. I have been more impressed with these since they came on the market a few years ago than any of the
johnny-come-lately sabot offerings.

I don't know of but maybe one guy who's posted here with a DT II and it is a different animal than the USHs because the DH II has a regular wall thickness barrel but I'll bet a bag of nickels the heavy Field Mags or Remington BuckHammers will be one of the better shooters when the smoke clears.

I do know the DT II is rather light so I would think seriously about NOT shooting 3" out them because it will probobly be uncomfortable and might lead to flinching & poor accuracy.

I think Paul could show you a link to an NEF/H&R shooters site. Someone linked to it here sometime previously for some reason or another.

Hey Paul!