HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rabbit Dogs
Thread: Rabbit Dogs
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Rebel Hog
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rabbit Dogs

ORIGINAL: forrest40

ok thanks . one more question, what would be the best way to train a beagle dogfor rabbits ??
Well, you have to train it on obidence also. Use some dried up rabbit skins and tease with it, drag it around the placeand play withhim untill he sees this is what you want.Instill the word rabbit in it's mine.

A dog does not understand words, he understands soundsof words.To give you an example, after teaching, coaching, rubbing him down with a good boy andgiving him a treat when he did it right and didwhat I wanted,I would ask my beagle "Would You Rather Be Red or Dead" and as soon as he heard the word Dead, he would roll on his side and play dead. He also associated the word Dead with a treat.

Don't tire him out, or push him to hard as a pup cause all he wants now is to play! Increase the training as it gets older.

All I had to do was walk to my truck with my shotgun and he new exactlyto rush to that dog box and he wanted to go. He stood there with his tail wagging a mile a second untill I helped him up!

When it is trained as much as you want and see that Rabbit Hunting is his passion, Be very careful who you choose to hunt rabbits with or they will accidently kill your dog!