HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lime - Pellett vs. Powder
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 AM
npaden
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lime - Pellett vs. Powder

I think either you misunderstood him or he doesn't know much about lime.

First, the pelletized lime will take longer to start working than the pulverized or powdered lime. This is mostly just common sense. The pellets will take a much longer period of time to disolve into the ground than the powder will.

Second, a ton of lime is a ton of lime. 400lbs of lime is 400lbs of lime. There is no way that 400lbs of pelletized lime will do the same job of increasing the ph of your soil that 3 tons of pulverized lime will do.

For smaller acreage it can be difficult to get someone to come spread the lime but if you are close to some other farms sometimes you can split a load. Most of the time you can pay to have the pulverized lime spread cheaper than you can buy the pelletized lime and spread it yourself. Sometimes for small out of the way food plotsyou haveto buy the pellets and spread it yourself, but it generally is more expensive to do it that way and much more work.

That's my 2 cents.

P.S. - I've never spread or bought lime so I may not know what I'm talking about but I've read a few posts on the subject and think I have a handle on it.

Nathan