Community

Team 2 Turkey Wizards

Old 04-30-2018, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Saturday it was even better, as fa as gobbling went. i heard 15 different birds. they are henned up bad right now so its a waiting game and try to get ahead of them game. Well was on birds all day but they stayed 3 steps ahead of me it seemed like. Hunted till quitting time. Went home and developed a plan. Plan fell through when I seen a flashlight coming through the woods. So I snuck down into roost area and waited. Yesterday very few gobbles, only heard 3 in that particular location and they didn't gobble great. Heard 44 different types of owl hoots, lol, so I knew other people heard them too. They quit early and it got real windy so i started back towards truck. Stopped a few times, called, nothing. Got bout 80 yards from the truck, which I could see plain as day, and called and 2 answered me immediately 50 yards towards my truck. I just melted to the ground, I could see them not 20 feet from my truck, coming. I managed to sit on a pointed rock, nice, and a small depression leaning me backwards. they skit around some brush and gobble to my hard right 35 yards. I try to finagle myself around, on the rock, and swing right. Now I have a sapling in the way. So I pulled my gun back and put it on the other side of it, in between the branches. I'm wobbling, I'm shaking from trying to hold myself up from the stupid rock and depression. I can see their fans behind a root wad and their heads when they gobble. One breaks and comes out, still in the brush a little, but not his head. i pulled trigger and 2 go flying off. I thought what the hell. After throwing a slight fit, I called 4 minutes later and they both gobbled. So I took off after them like Forrest Gump. I called twice and they answered but thought they were heading up the hill. Not, they were coming to my call and we met on a little half ridge. Game Over!!
Total i heard 28 different birds in 3 days, figured out where they go, dealt with the freakin public and their unethical ways, and still didn't get a dang bird. They things are tough right now but that's why I love to chase em. It was successful to me even if I didn't get a bird. Hadn't heard gobbling like that in years. Luck for me there's only 2 little roads that take you back to them, unless you walk a long ways, and I'm on one of them, lol. But don't know how much pressure it gets during the week. Guess I'll keep trying>
Old 04-30-2018, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

wont be shooting longbeards anymore either, lol. Way to tight for me.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

you'll get them harvester!
Old 04-30-2018, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep at it Harvester. It’s going to happen.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:23 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Bird Down

Took a double this morning in upper Mich.
I called them in at twelve yards. Two real nice toms. I was lead and kept asking my buddy if he was on his. With all the strutting and decoy smashing it was hard to get the shot.
But they turn and we both fired.
Well I missed mine with a xbow. Trying to lopp the head off.
But my buddy dropped his with Da Judge, a patterned 410 revolver.
My bird ran around after the shot came right up snd I grabbed Da Judge ftom my buddies hand and shot my bird at 9 yards. It was pandemonium for a bit.

He is a 3 yr old had a good breeding callous but was a light wt.
1 and 3/8 spurs both sides.
8 inch beard. AND only 16 lbs 8 oz.

Buddies bird was 20 plus pounds.

But being able to whack a bird up close with a .410'pistol is a rush!

I started turkey hunting because of this guy 32 yrs ago.

Pictures to follow.

JW
Old 05-01-2018, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice work JW. The Judge, never would of thought to turkey hunt with that. Lol.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats JW.
Had a guy slip in between me this am and kill a tom 50 yards in front of me. I had my safety off and all. ugh... glad I wasn't in line w/ his shot!
Went to another spot and took a nice 1.5 mile walk around and up the ridge. Tons of sign. Not one gobble.
Ugh.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

didn't make it out today. sick dog most of the night and had to get the kiddos to school today.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:22 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default thanks

The Judge patterned nicely with a range of 22 yards using TSS #9 shot.

That range was right up my alley. I put a stick in the ground and say to myself, you got to get them here.
Ya passed on quite a few birds but that is how I hunt.

I start again Saturday. New season open today but some medical tests ordered.

Be safe out there.
JW
Old 05-02-2018, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Ill leaving for Nebraska next Tuesday hopefully to kill a Merriam to achieve my grand slam. Indiana season has been horrible so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.