Team 1 The Rejects

Old 05-21-2018, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I dunno what I'm doing wrong y'all.

I'm seeing hens every time out. I'd think by pure luck eventually a gobbler would show up. But this morning I had three hens around me again for about an hour and saw nothing legal.

-Jake

Do you have anything on the roost in the mornings? I have sat back and watched an area from a long distance and seen places where hens would gather before going off to find food and water after laying their eggs. I never seen a Tom in those areas, not really sure why. However where they went to feed the Toms were waiting. May be a similar situation. If you can find that Tom waiting room and place a single hen decoy early in the morning then call sparingly (about every 30 min or so) ya might get lucky. I have also found that this late in the game a blind will do ya more harm than good, unless ya got one of those blinds Zim uses.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Headed out in the morning to hopefully fill the wife’s tag. The toms have been getting lonelier by the day...
Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wife bagged a good one! She dropped the hammer at 8:25 on a 3 year old with nice 1 inch spurs and an absolute rope of an 11 1/4 inch beard. That’s it for me!
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 The Rejects-3c624cfb-6e12-4999-a084-71f7fa22a87f.jpeg  
Old 05-24-2018, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats to the misses!! Great bird
Old 05-24-2018, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Kelly! Not only did she drop a nice bird, she dropped him at 51 steps in the woods!
Old 05-24-2018, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice one. How long has your wife been hunting?
Old 05-25-2018, 01:42 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

My season ended with the ultimate musical chairs. Moved 1/4 mile away to a brush line where I'd been glassing mature toms strutting consistently all week. Between 7 am - 8 am glassed back across that field and watched three toms with hens & jakes work their way slowly 10 yards in front of both my prior stand sites. Took a 3 hour mid day break and got back in blind. At 5 pm watched another mature tom strutting past same 2 stands, then at 6 pm another. So a total of 5 long beards in easy range of wrong stands that day. I had zero turkeys at my chosen spot all day. Oh well at least I learned about this new field. No need for decoys, they follow all the tree and brush lines, morning and evening. Just got to get there very early with good concealment. Got negative results again the two times I tried dekes. It just disrupted otherwise reliable travel routes.

My Ghost Blind ended up trumped due to swarms of biting fleas or gnats this year. This was not a problem in prior years. I ended up wearing a double layer of head nets, but some still snuck under to bite my neck badly. I'll take a bigger one next year I can tuck in my shirt. Good luck to all still hunting.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is only her second season, she dropped a
jake on the last day of last year’s spring season.

Zim - do you own a thermocell? I won’t enter
the woods from May to September without it...
Old 05-25-2018, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well guys, my season is over, and looks like tag soup for me.. Was hoping to get out at least once or twice this week, but with work, and getting stuff ready for our trip, It didn't happen. Congrats to all who scored this year, and good luck to anyone still hunting.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:23 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Strut&Rut
Zim - do you own a thermocell? I won’t enter
the woods from May to September without it...
I bought one in 2004 and tried it several times with no success at all. I did not see any purpose to continue. Did have a couple friends claim positive results. I can at least try it again next year I suppose. Should not spook turkeys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.