Team 1 The Rejects

Old 05-18-2018, 07:24 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I called once at 5 pm and three toms ran like hell. So I quit that. I put a decoy out since it as windy it moved a lot. I’ve never seen so many Toms in one day on Wisconsin public. Total of 12 Toms. All turkey were very active.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zim and Jake -

I don't hunt afternoons often in MI, but I find it's much more important (here at least) to determine the bird's 'temperature' in the afternoon, and much moreso than in the morning. Just like Zim, I've found that a single soft cluck or yelp here can send them in the opposite direction - so I always set up in areas where I know the birds either travel or feed before going to roost.

I like to setup in fields in the afternoon and use at least 1 hen deke. I've also found that using strutter decoys is generally a no-no for afternoons. If I hear birds talking, then I'll assume they're relatively hot, and I'll talk back. Otherwise, the primary farm I hunt in the afternoon is a strut zone and travel corridor - I just shut up, set up the blind 20 yards from the break in the fence where I know they need to cross, and wait. It is by far not my favorite way to hunt, and in late season May it can be effective but also brutally hot and boring...
Old 05-19-2018, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys, no luck. Almost killed a yote though. I wonder if he screwed up my hunt. If he would have came a little closer I would have blasted him. I was hoping to at least put one down but no luck this year. Hopefully we get another bird or 2 so we can repeat. Good luck to everyone still getting after them.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry guys, been kind of preoccupied lately. We leave next weekend for a 2 week, 15 state vacation on our Goldwing. My season was only 1 week long, and that was back on April 18th. I do get another chance starting this Wednesday, for a week since I didn't fill my tag, but probably won't get much time to hunt. I am planning on going out Wednesday morning, and then I will try to get out 1 or 2 nights after work. I did have a chance to shoot another bearded hen, but since I shot one last year, she got a free pass. I have a couple of them running around out there. How long does the contest run?
Old 05-19-2018, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigDaddy,

Now I'm really jealous. Have a great trip. Be safe

What year is your wing? I ride a Kawasaki Concours. I used to put around 15K/year on but since having kids that's dropped since I'm hauling kids every where I go.

I'm heading out for a three day cruise at the end of this month though I think just to PA and maybe down into West Virginia for a day.

-Jake
Old 05-20-2018, 06:55 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

After glassing across field Friday, I repositioned my blind 1/2 mile, actually closer to the parking lot. The birds frequent there. Just hunted noon-sunset. Caught one strutting along a CRP edge at 5 pm, then two more big one's came from my Friday setup all the way to me but zigged just past. Watched all three with 5 hens mess around on this small edge 100 yards away before roosting. I have been getting destroyed by biting gnats so I am taking one day off and will try my last day of the season tomorrow. I will reposition blind to that strutting edge they love. Only issue is I must use a pop up due to 40% rain forecast. This is risky on the late season public toms. I'll try brushing it in so it doesn't spook them. Rain 100% today anyway.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
BigDaddy,

Now I'm really jealous. Have a great trip. Be safe

What year is your wing? I ride a Kawasaki Concours. I used to put around 15K/year on but since having kids that's dropped since I'm hauling kids every where I go.

I'm heading out for a three day cruise at the end of this month though I think just to PA and maybe down into West Virginia for a day.

-Jake

Thanks Jake, it should be a great trip! I have a 2003 Wing, and will be towing a matching trailer. I hear yoiu about putting miles on. I belong to the Iron Butt Association, and used to ride a ton of miles every year, but not so much the past couple of years. I am also riding the Tour of Honor for the 5th year, that is a ton of fun! You should look it up! www.tourofhonor.com
Old 05-20-2018, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Big Daddy,

I've done several rides that would qualify, but have never submitted any paper work. So I don't get to claim the iron butt title. But I've done many 1,000 mile days. I'll probably log a thousand miles day later this month.

When I was 16 I rode a 600 honda Shadow from Ohio to Colorado. It was slightly over 1500 miles in 29 hours. My father was on a bmw k1200 at the time and my uncle rode a Kawasaki Vulcan drifter. It was an amazing experience for a kid to get to do. Also, I was allot tougher then I think.... Cause no part of me would want to do that now on a 600 with no music or radio lol ...

They've since bought a 14 wing and a 16 Indian chieftain. And I went first to a Honda v65 magna and now the Concours.

​​​​​​Had I known anything about the IBA I would have documented everything for that ride.

Ride safe. I'll check out the link you posted

As for turkey, I got out Saturday afternoon for an hour and twenty minutes and saw two hens....

-Jake
Old 05-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Got the Stoeger in and to say I learned a lesson would be an understatement lol. It was listed as a M3000. The bolt was stuck open so I tore gun apart. While breaking it down there were 2 washers that were in the wrong place causing this. I also happened to see the M2000 stamped on the receiver!!! By the time I pay to get it back to the seller it would cost too dang much so I am going to chock it up to life lesson learned lol. On the bright side after cleaning with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber then lightly going over everything with some CLP and putting all back together properly it seems to function well. I will take it out hopefully soon and run 100 or so shells through it and if it seems legit I will take to a gunsmith to get the receiver drilled and tapped for a weaver rail. Otherwise I will sell it and cut my losses.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

I dunno what I'm doing wrong y'all.

I'm seeing hens every time out. I'd think by pure luck eventually a gobbler would show up. But this morning I had three hens around me again for about an hour and saw nothing legal.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 05-21-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.