Team 1 The Rejects

Old 05-06-2018, 02:30 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

What a weekend in NE! Started hunting Friday afternoon. Went to a spot I’d hunted before and started walking a calling. Spotted a bird strutting from about 100 yards through the trees. Got set up and gave him a few calls and the next thing I know 3 gobblers are working there way in. I pick out the strutters of course and BOOM! A beautiful merriams that weighted 19 lbs, 7/8” spurs and 3 beards (9 1/4, 6, and 5 1/4). My boots had been on the ground less than an hour. The rest of the afternoon was pretty uneventful. The next day things were slow and not a lot of gobbling. We bounced around a few places calling and around noon a response. We hustle down the draw and get set up. Less than 5 minutes I have this bird at 35 yards. I don’t even hesitate with the longbeard xr’s. A dandy 2 year old weighing 18 lbs, 3/4” spurs and a double beard! (9 and 2). I will get pics up this week. That wrapped up my 2018 season. Good luck to everyone still hunting
Old 05-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Last day of the Oklahoma season. Got permission to drive out west from the wife. Get set up and have birds coming then BOOM!. Damn poacher shot it from under me 80 yrds from me. Got the land owner and game warden out there 800$ fine but ruined my day ugh. Now just gotta hope the rest come back this evening

Will the others come back to the same roost area ya think?
Why anyone would risk $800 + a clean slate for a stupid bird is beyond me. What a bumpkin.

Have no idea if they'd be back tho as every time I've tagged I left. If you got no other option it can't hurt to try. I've shot several & had their buddies just walking around oblivious to anything. One this year even stayed by mine pecking at him. Only walked off after I exited my blind. As you can see by the photos, I could have easily harvested him if I'd had a 2nd tag.
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 The Rejects-alex-8.jpg  
Old 05-07-2018, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Zim
Why anyone would risk $800 + a clean slate for a stupid bird is beyond me. What a bumpkin.

Have no idea if they'd be back tho as every time I've tagged I left. If you got no other option it can't hurt to try. I've shot several & had their buddies just walking around oblivious to anything. One this year even stayed by mine pecking at him. Only walked off after I exited my blind. As you can see by the photos, I could have easily harvested him if I'd had a 2nd tag.

I agree. It could have been much worse because I was set up to shoot right in his direction. The warden said that he could have gave him $2200 in total fines plus taken his gun but he seemed remorseful so he only gave him the unlawful Tresspassing ticket and took his bird. The warden offered it to me since I would have shot him legally but I asked him to give it to a needy family.

The birds did end up coming back but unfortunately I started having stomach problems and had to leave before that. I made it till 5:30 pm without a sighting of a bird. The land owner called me at about 8pm and said the birds finally showed back up and headed to the same roost. That just means they will be bigger next year lol.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:05 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Here are the pics from my NE trip this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 The Rejects-img_1985-1-.jpg   Team 1 The Rejects-img_1994.jpg   Team 1 The Rejects-img_2008.jpg   Team 1 The Rejects-img_2021.jpg  
Old 05-07-2018, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

On May 4 I decided to get up at 2am and make the drive to some public land in SE Oklahoma. I was a little apprehensive because I could see the lightning off in the distance is the same direction I was going to be headed. Checked the weather apps and they all said thunderstorms from about flydown till 9am then great weather after that so I said what the heck.

Got there a little bit late cause I had to drive through the storms on the way but the birds should have still been roosting at that time. It was just light enough to see without a flashlight. I walked in about a half mile to where the wildlife department had put 2 foodplots and sat down on the edge of the first one.

Not a single gobble on the roost and shortly after getting settled in the rain started. After about 30 min of rain I decided to sneak up to the edge of the larger food plot to see if any birds were out there as I have learned that they usually like the open fields in the ran but no luck this time. I went back to my seat and hear came the thunderstorms lol. No birds were gobbling to the thunder which I found really odd but I decided to stick it out. The storms were short lived thank goodness since I was not in a blind and about 15 min after they quit I finally heard my first gobble. Sounded like a good mature gobble. I hit the old box call and he responded with another 3 or so that sounded like jakes but they all sounded a bit far off.

This plot is off to my left so I spin around and set of for a shot from that direction. I played with these birds for several minutes and it finally sounded like they committed to coming in. I put the box call down and start with a few soft yelps from the mouth call. I paused for a few minutes and, WHAT THE HECK!! I heard drumming from my right! Slowly turned my head and there was a tom in full strut 20 yrds to my right just on the edge. There were trees close in front of me that direction so I couldn't move the barrel more than about half way without hitting them. As luck would have it he would take a few steps, throw the fan up then stick his neck out. After a few more minutes he was right in front of the barrel and I let him have a load of Winchester Longbeard #5. 21lb Oklahoma Eastern.

I will get the other measurements when I get home from work today.
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 The Rejects-mcgeecreekbird2018.jpg  
Old 05-07-2018, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats DTC. Those are great birds. Definitely uping you scores.

I have a trip to the Black Hills scheduled for next season. Might have to stop by Nebraska on the way home.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:23 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Congrats DTC. Those are great birds. Definitely uping you scores.

I have a trip to the Black Hills scheduled for next season. Might have to stop by Nebraska on the way home.

Congrats to you as well.

You hunting public land in the Black Hills? That is a place on my bucket list to hunt.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DTC
Congrats to you as well.

You hunting public land in the Black Hills? That is a place on my bucket list to hunt.

Yea there is a guy on here that invited me to go along and I finally talked the wife into going. From what I hear there is an application but the draw is pretty much guaranteed.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:50 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome! I hope you have a great hunt.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DTC
That's awesome! I hope you have a great hunt.

Thanks, If it ends up being a good hunt area I'll pass on the info for ya. I found an 835 with the mathews stock like yours for 300$ think I may pull the trigger on it. I am torn between it or a Stoeger m3000 turkey edition for 450$ lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.