Team 1 The Rejects

Old 05-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Good luck. Finding them is half the battle.
Ya I think if I keep working that same area it'll pay off. Neither one was huge. But both respectable birds. I'd certainly be happy with either.

-Jake
Old 05-02-2018, 02:02 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default Southern Illinois Public Hunt Photos

Since I am out of commission for a few weeks, thought I'd post a few action photos from my first hunt. This remote IL public parcel has 12,000 acres yet had only 2 turkey harvested last year! One of them mine. Nobody goes there. I suppose because it's not promoted for turkey? Not entirely sure. I did run into other hunters on nearby properties. Anyways I found a good setup while using aerial images, and set up in the dark first day. Gobbling all over. First photo shows a few of the 5 toms strutting with 7 hens about 100 yards in front of me. They strutted and fought out there for a couple hours before filtering into the timber on the left. The hens broke up and headed to their nests around 9:30 AM. Then at 10 AM two poked their heads out at the timber line and moved in on my dekes by 10:15. Had a tom and one hen decoy out on the right in the one photo you see the 2 toms approaching from left. The bigger of the two really got into my tom decoy wanting to pick a fight. I had a very tough time getting him to poke his head up high. It was only half extended when I shot, so I was not pleased with the BB's in the breast, but I think I got them all out. Lucky I avoided hitting the decoy.

Will be back in the US and head for Wisconsin in 2 weeks with my new toy Invisiblind! Love this thing on heavily pressured late season WI public toms. I am invisible!
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 The Rejects-alex-6.jpg   Team 1 The Rejects-alex-1.jpg   Team 1 The Rejects-alex-3.jpg   Team 1 The Rejects-alex-5.jpg   Team 1 The Rejects-alex-2.jpg  

Last edited by Zim; 05-02-2018 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Strut&Rut
Good luck boys! My season opens here on Monday May 7.

Kelly - what's the lot number on that box of LB #5?

I've been thinking about your problem. If it truly wasn't a light striker or a bad primer - but rather the primer is truly inset too far, then it could be a big problem. A deep primer means there's a problem with the brass or the primer seating process, which would likely affect a large number of shells (cause it's not just a lone primer dud, it's a manufacturing failure). So - what's that lot number?

The lot number is ULT3LD14

I think anyway. The T is right in a fold so not 100%
Old 05-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Today was more of the same. Had several hens up close on 4 or 5 different occasions. Had a couple gobblers close once and saw a couple off in the distance once. The ones that came close were just on the other side of the tree line probably 80 yards away. But they walked off and I never saw them.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Zim
Since I am out of commission for a few weeks, thought I'd post a few action photos from my first hunt. This remote IL public parcel has 12,000 acres yet had only 2 turkey harvested last year! One of them mine. Nobody goes there. I suppose because it's not promoted for turkey? Not entirely sure. I did run into other hunters on nearby properties. Anyways I found a good setup while using aerial images, and set up in the dark first day. Gobbling all over. First photo shows a few of the 5 toms strutting with 7 hens about 100 yards in front of me. They strutted and fought out there for a couple hours before filtering into the timber on the left. The hens broke up and headed to their nests around 9:30 AM. Then at 10 AM two poked their heads out at the timber line and moved in on my dekes by 10:15. Had a tom and one hen decoy out on the right in the one photo you see the 2 toms approaching from left. The bigger of the two really got into my tom decoy wanting to pick a fight. I had a very tough time getting him to poke his head up high. It was only half extended when I shot, so I was not pleased with the BB's in the breast, but I think I got them all out. Lucky I avoided hitting the decoy.

Will be back in the US and head for Wisconsin in 2 weeks with my new toy Invisiblind! Love this thing on heavily pressured late season WI public toms. I am invisible!

Great pics. We can't get birds to come within 200 yards of a blind on the public land I hunt. Even during deer season they will not come anywhere close. What is an Invisiblind? Is it like the ghostblind?
Old 05-02-2018, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably cant get back out til next Monday now.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:57 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Great pics. We can't get birds to come within 200 yards of a blind on the public land I hunt. Even during deer season they will not come anywhere close. What is an Invisiblind? Is it like the ghostblind?
kelly, Oh yes sorry mine is actually the Ghost Blind. I don't think they make the Invisiblind any more. This is exactly the ticket for heavy pressured late season toms. I was frustrated for years hunting my favorite WI public properties, where NR's can only get late season tags. It was unreal how the toms circled around my setups 80 yards out like clockwork. After two took one glance from 150 yards and ran like hell, I decided I better try something different. Ordered a Ghost Blind and never looked back. Problem has been beyond completely eliminated. Only issue now I need to beware of is rain.

First few times out I had deer grazing so close I actually heard them pulling weeds before seeing them. Then was calling a tom when 5 jakes walked up within 5 or 10 feet. I had to peek out the handle hole to photo. The cool part is nothing suspects a thing even when they get extremely close. They casually go about their business. Now one good thing to have is travel corridors identified. Because the WI toms will still avoid decoys in the late season. But I have observed the birds in my favorite areas for years so I know the routes they prefer. The best part with these is the critters don't need to get used to them because they can't see them. So you can run and gun as you please, with minimal cover necessary. You can even set up in an open field. I may actually try this next hunt at one spot I know the direction they come from.

I rarely buy new hunting toys, but this was the exception. Glad I did. I would encourage you to try one of these some time.

Last edited by Zim; 05-02-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Got an Oklahoma Eastern down this morning. I'll get pics and story posted up when I get back to a computer.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Last day of the Oklahoma season. Got permission to drive out west from the wife. Get set up and have birds coming then BOOM!. Damn poacher shot it from under me 80 yrds from me. Got the land owner and game warden out there 800$ fine but ruined my day ugh. Now just gotta hope the rest come back this evening

Will the others come back to the same roost area ya think?
Old 05-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last day of the Oklahoma season. Got permission to drive out west from the wife. Get set up and have birds coming then BOOM!. Damn poacher shot it from under me 80 yrds from me. Got the land owner and game warden out there 800$ fine but ruined my day ugh. Now just gotta hope the rest come back this evening

Will the others come back to the same roost area ya think?
That stinks.

Will they be back? Maybe. Most likely depends on how spooked they got after the shot AND if they have other roost areas. If that’s the only roost area for 5-10 miles then they’ll prolly be back...

Easterns are notorious for have multiple roost sites in heavily wooded ag lands - not sure what the country looks like where you’re at now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.