Community

Team 1 The Rejects

Old 04-27-2018, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had 4 gobblers in field, 2 at about 60 yards and 2 others at 80. There were also hens. Any suggestions on how to get these boys away from the hens and closer to my sexy decoys? I tried for nearly 2 hours and they were in the field that whole time. Just couldn't get them any closer.
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 The Rejects-20180427_071826.jpg   Team 1 The Rejects-20180427_065904.jpg  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job on the birds guys. I'm really hoping I can contribute again this year. I'm seeing some pretty good action just not close enough yet. Counting my 2 days with my grandson and the 3 days I've been able to get out, I've seen 12 different gobblers. I'm hoping it's just a matter of time. I won't be able to get back out now til Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, due to work.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

ManFall,
Wherever I hunt it's the same. If you see them early, just do whatever you can to make positive sure they see your decoys and hear your calls. If they move off, no problem. Continue to call every half hour. Then at about 10 AM the hens will break off and go their separate ways to sit on their nests. That's when the toms will come to check out your dekes. Works like money for me virtually every year.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

You used the word 'sexy decoys' so I'm assuming you're using 1 or 2 hen dekes?

If you're only using hens you could switch it up and try a quarter strut jake decoy with the hens, or try using a lone strutter. It's hard to get them to leave the live ladies - either wait them out like Zim recommends, or try to get them mad with another male...

With that said, I've killed more birds using hen helps + a gobble tube than any other method, with or without dekes - so you could also try keeping only the hen dekes and just mixing in some gobbler sounds. A lone gobble can quickly grab their attention and get at least one of them running in your direction.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use both hens and Jake's. 2 of each. I mix in gobbles with yelps every so often. But the comment about waiting them out, I didn't realize that one. I usually leave about 10:30. Looks like my next time out I may be sitting a little longer unless I get one of those early birds, lol!!!!!
Old 04-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

No don't leave at 10:30 am that is prime time for cruisers! In fact if I had to choose I'd rather hunt 8 am - 1 pm than at sunrise, if you know there are toms in the vicinity. They will cruise and come into dekes much more readily after 9:30 am. In the earlier hours I've almost always had to have curious hens drag their toms into my deke setups for them to work.

This year's 5 hour public land hunt: At 7 am 7 hens & 5 toms entered the field about 100 yards in front of me all morning strutting. None came in, but they definitely saw my setup and heard me. They all left that field for the timber at 8:30 am. Two of the toms went far away gobbling. The other three gobbled within 200 yards until I saw hens going solo off to their nests beginning about 9:30 am. I watched the three follow one of these at 10 am across that field 300 yards, but they gave up at which time I began calling again. That got their attention and they worked the field edge to my left until they came right in at 10:15 am. This has happened to me many times.

Last edited by Zim; 04-27-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:57 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Just noticed The Rejects just took over 1st place in the standings.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, looks like I have a reason now to hunt a little longer����������
Old 04-28-2018, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just my opinion, but it’s also more difficult to draw in a lone Tom when you have more than one male deke - that’s a 2 to 1 disadvantage. Even the most dominant bird may be hesitant to charge into that setup, especially if there is a large jake population in the area. Jake ‘mobs’ can beat up a lone Tom pretty good.

I recommend using only one male deke.

And I agree that 10-2 is that magic window, but it does depend on how much land you have access to, how big their range is, and the actual bird population/density. The toms know where the hens like to nest and therefore tend to cruise those areas more often (at least in the states I’ve hunted).
Old 04-29-2018, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default jake decoy

I only use 1 jake decoy, I use a real jake fan on it, It started out as Tom decoy, I cut the beard to 4'', trimmed the tail feathers shorter & shortened the stake about 1 1/2'', so it looks like a small jake that's strutting, Longbeards just go bughouse when the see it with the hens!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.