Community

Team 1 The Rejects

Old 04-26-2018, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job on all the kills, guys!

As for the question on how far you will shoot, I limit myself to 50 yards. I don't WANT to shoot them at that distance, but my gun has consistently provided patterns that would more than do the job at that distance, so that is my limit. Most of my kills have been at 20-30, and it is certainly my preference to call them in closer, but we all know that it doesn't always work out that way.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

DTC, did that Mathews dampener come on it, or did you put it on there? If so, how'd you go about it, and have you noticed any improvements?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DTC
Here they are.
Looking good. How is that stock on the 835 with muzzle rise. I have the older (1995) 835 and the recoil doesn't bother me at all but the rise does. I may just start looking at that edition and just get rid of the older model
Old 04-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Good job fellas. As of right now we are in 1st place for the best bird category at 306.204 pts
Old 04-26-2018, 08:39 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
DTC, did that Mathews dampener come on it, or did you put it on there? If so, how'd you go about it, and have you noticed any improvements?
I ordered the gun that way. My old 870 killed on both ends and I really don't mind shooting this gun at all.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:41 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Looking good. How is that stock on the 835 with muzzle rise. I have the older (1995) 835 and the recoil doesn't bother me at all but the rise does. I may just start looking at that edition and just get rid of the older model

My old 870 was awful but I haven't noticed it all with this gun. I ordered it in 2014. Absolutely love it! I bought the Versa Max more for wing shooting but thought I would set it up just in case I wanted to use it. My son killed a turkey with the Versa Max during youth season.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kelly, have you tried changing your grip or recoil pad? Sometimes the internal portion of the pad gets weak from repeated shooting or shooting heavier loads - and you may not even notice it because it only moves substantially when it's compressed during a shot.

I had an older 20ga that would occasionally jump like crazy, and one day while shooting one of my friends noticed that the recoil pad was creeping during the shot. I changed the pad which helped, and then a few days later an older gent taught me the push-pull grip, and just like that I was happily knocking down 4-5 more clays on a regular basis. It quickly went from a gun I wanted to sell to one I want to give my grandkids...
Old 04-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Strut&Rut
Kelly, have you tried changing your grip or recoil pad? Sometimes the internal portion of the pad gets weak from repeated shooting or shooting heavier loads - and you may not even notice it because it only moves substantially when it's compressed during a shot.

I had an older 20ga that would occasionally jump like crazy, and one day while shooting one of my friends noticed that the recoil pad was creeping during the shot. I changed the pad which helped, and then a few days later an older gent taught me the push-pull grip, and just like that I was happily knocking down 4-5 more clays on a regular basis. It quickly went from a gun I wanted to sell to one I want to give my grandkids...

Yes sir. When I first brought it home from the gun show the recoil pad was rock hard. I replaced it with a limbsaver before ever attempting to shoot it lol. There are a few other things I don't like about the gun so I guess I am just hunting for a reason lol. I hunt in extremely sandy conditions and after 1 day the shells don't cycle. I have also already had the little arms (extractors i think) in there and the slide assembly wear out. Took for ever to get a slide assembly that would fit correctly without sanding. The only thing I really like is the pattern it throws. A newer version with updated parts might be just what the dr ordered lol plus Mossbergs won't break the bank. I love the overbored barrel and I was looking at the Brownings as well but at well over twice the price I am not sure I could convince the wallet to let loose lol
Old 04-26-2018, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Just picked up the Turkey fan decoy from cabelas. This would have come in dang handy this past weekend. I hope I can put it to use on the old gobbler tomorrow
Old 04-27-2018, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

FYI - updated scores show we're in the lead heading into the last month of hunting...

My season starts in 10 days - anyone else on the team still waiting to start?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.