Team 1 The Rejects

Old 04-25-2018, 07:34 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Man of the Fall,
I think 40 yards is the number you will hear from most folks. I have some pretty dependable spots I hunt and there I will pass on on shots over 25 but only because I don't like BB's in the breast meat. I want a clean head shot. I took one at 40 last year in WI but he was walking a treeline and I can't use decoys there due to late season educated public toms. Made a clean head shot anyway.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default distance

Yeah, 40-45 yards, I use Winchester Longbeard XR loads and a Jebs .655 headhunter choke. I'm very picky about sighting in because it shoots such tight patterns and if the sights are off it will be a miss.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:14 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting the Longbeard XR's as well and have added a red dot scope b/c the pattern is so tight. I consistently put 70 pellets in the head and neck at 40 yards on paper. That doesn't mean I would shoot much over that. I would rather let a bird walk off to hunt the next day as cripple him at 50 or 60 yards and let the coyotes eat him.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default optics

Yeah I've got optics on both of my turkey guns. The 870 has a 2.5 scope & Beretta A300 has a red dot.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DTC
I am shooting the Longbeard XR's as well and have added a red dot scope b/c the pattern is so tight. I consistently put 70 pellets in the head and neck at 40 yards on paper. That doesn't mean I would shoot much over that. I would rather let a bird walk off to hunt the next day as cripple him at 50 or 60 yards and let the coyotes eat him.
If ya don't mind me asking what gun/choke set up are you using? I am still in debate on getting rid of my old mossberg and getting a new set up for next year with a red dot.

I typically limit myself to 40 yrds but I did misjudge one last year and it ended up being 65. I put a stalk on him using a fan from one I shot the day before. I was way off in distance because of the heat of the moment and the wide open dirt field.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default setup

I switched to a Beretta A300 NWTF edition because I won it last year, Jebs headhunter .655 choke, Vortex venom red dot, and a accu riser comb riser kit for a good cheek weld. And off subject, is it you Capt Kelly that updates team scores?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:17 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
If ya don't mind me asking what gun/choke set up are you using? I am still in debate on getting rid of my old mossberg and getting a new set up for next year with a red dot.

I typically limit myself to 40 yrds but I did misjudge one last year and it ended up being 65. I put a stalk on him using a fan from one I shot the day before. I was way off in distance because of the heat of the moment and the wide open dirt field.
I actually have 2 turkey guns. My main gun is a Mossberg 835 topped with a truglo scope. It has an adjustable cheeck plate and the Mathews harmonic dampener built in the stock. I currently just have the factory choke it it. My 2nd set up is a Remington Versa Max with an Indian creek choke. I will try to get some pics up.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by springspur
I switched to a Beretta A300 NWTF edition because I won it last year, Jebs headhunter .655 choke, Vortex venom red dot, and a accu riser comb riser kit for a good cheek weld. And off subject, is it you Capt Kelly that updates team scores?

I was thinking we could post up our own birds but you are right. Just seen Superstrutter would like the captains to post them. Got all up now I believe.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no qualms about taking a 50+ yard shot in an open field with my 12ga, but usually limit myself to 40 yards or less in the timber due to unforeseen obstacles. Due to the places I hunt, most of the birds I've killed have been in the woods, and have been harvested at 30 steps or less...
Old 04-26-2018, 06:55 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Here they are.
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 The Rejects-img_1967-1-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.