Team 1 The Rejects

Old 04-20-2018, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

I'm gonna head back out Sunday thru Tuesday to the western part of the state. The fires out there should be calmed down a bit. Rain is predicted for today and Saturday.

Next weekend I will try and hit the SE part of the state for an Eastern if the weather cooperates otherwise I will take the wife west to try and get her on one.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Working tonight til 4AM. I'll head home and change, get my grandson up and we should be in our spot around 5:30. Hoping for a nice quick hunt. It will be a little cool to start though, temps are expected to be in the upper 20's.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It worked to perfection. Birds started gobbling a little before 6. They went quiet fairly quick though. My grandson was saying he wanted to leave by 7:30. I told him hang in there we will be on birds today. A little after 8 we heard 2, then 2 more, then 2 more yet again. We had at least 6 birds gobbling all inside of 200 yards coming from different directions. 2 finally appeared. I told him to be ready. It took them maybe 5 minutes from the time we saw them til they made there way over to us. One was a nice long beard and the other one was a Jake. When the long beard closed to a out 15 yards I said take him out. This is where the problem started. He didn't shoot. He had him in the 15 to 18 yard range for about a minute and he didn't shoot. They both finally walked off without him shooting at either one. He said he didn't shoot cause he knows they have good eye sight and he didn't want to spook them and run them off. His gun was on a rest and he easily could have moved and nailed either one. Of course I told him the one with the big beard. Well, hunting with these youngins can be frustrating from time to time but it's well worth it and every experience just builds and adds confidence and lessons for the next hunt. I explained to him he is definitely right about their eyesight, but he wouldn't of had a problem moving those 2 inches slowly and nailing that bird. Hopefully tomorrow morning he will tag his first bird, or his first any thing for that matter.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default tagged out

Been a busy week, killed 2 big jakes Thursday...they were gobbbling and coming through the winter wheat so couldn't judge the beards & killed a nice longbeard this morning. Pictures & story to follow. Capt Kelly, the long beard was 18.2 lbs, lt spur 15/16'' & rt spur was 1 inch, beard was 10 1/4'' Tagged out & it's a long time till March 20th. Keep knocking them down Rejects.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:38 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Finally notched a tag in MO this morning despite the rain. 21 lbs, 10” beard , and 7/8” spurs. I will get a pic Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Nice bird DTC

That's a nice fat gobbler, they are are a little lighter in S.C. I personally haven't seen one over 20 pounds. Keep knockin' them in the head Rejects!
Old 04-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

No gobbling makes for a long day lol. Think all this crazy weather has them acting funny. Seen a few out following hens in a green field but they are locked down tight.

Congrats DTC! Great bird
Old 04-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Kellyguinn

So no props for me!
Old 04-22-2018, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Lol your just that good. Always killing the birds and not leaving any for the rest of us Of course great job I think you have taken more than I have seen or heard. Tough season for me. They just arent talking after all the fires
Old 04-23-2018, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

So besides flydown time, I haven't heard a single gobble. Yesterday was probably the most gobbling I ever heard. I'm guessing it's the wind but I don't know. Opening day, not a single gun shot heard and no gobbling since about 6:25. Tomorrow we are suppose to have heavy rains so I probably won't even get out. Hoping Wednesday will be a better day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.