Community

Team 1 The Rejects

Old 03-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
These late starting seasons here in Ohio is terrible. I've got youth season with my grandson April 21st and 22nd, then regular season starts the 23rd. The first week is the only somewhat good week, then after that its luck.

Agreed, it would be nice to have the season two weeks earlier.

Oh well

-jake
Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always been able to successfully get birds throughout all of May in NY, CT and MI. My wife shot her first bird last year on May 31st.

With that said, the early season in MI this year from April 23 thru May 6 was looking great - until this week. We've got 2 snowstorms on track to hit MI, we'll see how bad the weather is and if we get any snow. Anything more than 6" and I'll probably stick to the late season of May 7-31.

Did you all get over to the other team threads and see the monster that Nicky shot? 4 beards, score is almost 100...
Old 04-04-2018, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Season opens Friday and its suppose to be in the 20's, high winds and sleet or snow possible. This is not a good thing lol. I'll try to get out there and tough it out but not sure how much of a slow down it will put on the birds. The normal temps here should be lows in the upper 50s and highs in the upper 70s to lower 80s.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

We've got about 2" of fresh snow on the ground in SW Michigan. If it sticks until tonight it's probably the perfect opportunity to take advantage of daylight savings time and visit my honeyhole this evening. I'll see how many gobbler prints I can find, last year there were 7-8 different toms in the area...
Old 04-04-2018, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Open in Indiana 4/25.....long wait still
Old 04-04-2018, 08:07 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Weather looking great for my first hunt. I need Mississippi River level down to access my area and it is dropping now. Supposed to be sunny the next 5 days prior to the opener Monday. I will drive down there to far southern Illinois Sunday morning.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

I got out Friday before the cold front hit and had a few close calls but between too many hunters and all the birds being in big groups still and then adding in the mist, 40 mph winds and then the temps dropping to the 20's it was some tough going. I did call in a few lonely hens and had a few toms sneak up on me but they would spot the decoys and head back into the bush. Had one sneak up behind the cedar tree I was using as cover and when I hit the loud box call it shock gobbled and scared me half to death lol.

We had sleet and snow move in Friday night so I headed the 3 hour drive back home to avoid being stuck out there. Well that and I am not fond of turkey hunting while wet and in 0 degree windchills lol

I did manage to call this curious doe in with a sultry yelp lol
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 The Rejects-turkeydeer.jpg  

Last edited by kellyguinn; 04-09-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

That slick head self-identifies as a gobbler!

-Jake
Old 04-10-2018, 08:07 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

No birds at my plan A spot, despite a 3/4 mile view. And what's worse not a track seen. This spot is vulnerable to high water. Will try plan B tomorrow. That spot produced last year.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:42 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default On The Board

Rejects are on the board. Typing from the field. Had a fantastic hunt at my day two plan B. Had five Toms gobbling within 200 yards of my setup. When it got light had two jakes come in, then a half hour later 5 mature Toms harassing 7 hens. Toms were fighting big time. At first none got within 80 yards but after the hens dispersed at 10 AM two of the Toms visited my dekes. I took the bigger of the two. Returning to the car now for measurements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.