Community

Team 1 The Rejects

Old 05-07-2018, 09:32 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Thanks, If it ends up being a good hunt area I'll pass on the info for ya. I found an 835 with the mathews stock like yours for 300$ think I may pull the trigger on it. I am torn between it or a Stoeger m3000 turkey edition for 450$ lol.
Wow, I paid over $500 for mine new.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Its not quite new but they are hard to find for sure. I was wanting a pistol grip but if this helps I'll stick with it lol.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok guys I have a little less than 2 weeks left in the season. I may be able to get out a couple more mornings, but that's about it. Season has moved to all day now so I could hit up a few evenings. I have never done any evening hunts for turkeys. Give me some suggestions. I'm guessing I will be close to the roosting area. Are decoys still good in the evenings? What about calling? Should I just use hen decoys or throw in a Jake as well. Let me hear your suggestions.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got it done this morning, bagged a nice strutter. Light bird but beard is about 11” and spurs are pushing 1”.

Will post pics and story after the upgrade.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Strut&Rut
Got it done this morning, bagged a nice strutter. Light bird but beard is about 11” and spurs are pushing 1”.

Will post pics and story after the upgrade.
Congrats!

Mine only upgrade 2.75 pts but every bit helps lol

After my slight ugrade and DTC's monster we are up 44.829 pts on the best bird per hunter score.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stats:

Subspecies: Eastern
Method: Shotgun
Weight: 17.8
Beard: 10.875
Lt Spur: 0.875
Rt Spur: 1.0

NWTF Calculator score = 58.3

This was the lightest tom I've ever shot, especially this early in May.

I will upload pics from my phone once the new HN upgrade is complete.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:17 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

You guys are some turkey slayers, keep up the good work!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Here is my Eastern from May 4th. I am not really sure why the birds from that area always seem to have smaller spurs that are always rounded off. The only thing we can figure is they get sanded down by the rocky terrain. But he was 21 lbs, 3/4" spurs and 11 1/4" beard.
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 The Rejects-mcgeecreekbird2018.jpg  
Old 05-08-2018, 06:58 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

You guys got the heads rollin! Nice work.

ManoFall, Heck ya the hunting is just as good evenings as mornings and in fact I often prefer it as long as I know the travel lanes. Had many toms strutting and returning to their roost trees at dusk. Definitely worth the effort. The only difference is they rarely gobble. If you are not sure of their preferred travel lanes, another good thing to try is stalking if it's a very windy day. Both these have produced several toms for me, all on public.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
Ok guys I have a little less than 2 weeks left in the season. I may be able to get out a couple more mornings, but that's about it. Season has moved to all day now so I could hit up a few evenings. I have never done any evening hunts for turkeys. Give me some suggestions. I'm guessing I will be close to the roosting area. Are decoys still good in the evenings? What about calling? Should I just use hen decoys or throw in a Jake as well. Let me hear your suggestions.
I normally don't use a decoy much after early morning and depending on how they seem to act around them then I may not use one at all. If ya do mid day and late evening I would use a single hen decoy. From about 10 am till 2 pm I seem to have my best luck turkey hunting as thats normally when they are out searching for the hens to follow to the roost. LIke Zim said if you know their travel routes back to the roost then that can be very productive but calling alot of times won't work unless you can call in the lead hen that they are with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.