Community

Team 4 The Rejects

Old 05-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I still expect my score will bump up this week. I got a big public tom patterned very well. Just hoping nobody else slips in on my spot. I did see some boot prints last time there, but weather has been horrible. I plan to hit this spot hard Wed/Th/Fri before the last weekend warriors get a chance.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

My target tom showed up this morning but headed straight out into the field instead of his usual tree line route. This afternoon I'll set up my Ghost Blind where he came out. Maybe he will head for the same roost this evening.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good Luck ZIM!!!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck Zim, whack that longspur!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
Very nice job to all! Some good birds being knocked down! Jake, that bird is seriously a bird of a lifetime! Congrats!

If you plan to do a mount, check your freezer to make sure it's working! I killed a bird that scored 76.75 several years ago, and had plans to mount it. I breasted it out, put it in the freezer and wasn't in that deep freeze for almost a month...when a smell that would knock down a buzzard started coming from it! Obviously, my bird was gone. That bird to be mounted, and about 100 pounds of elk meat wasted...terrible day.

Anyway, some really nice birds have been taken by some really nice folks. Glad to be a part of the team, even though I didn't get to kill a bird for myself this year. Next year, since we'll all be on the same team after winning this year, I'll plan to produce!

Thank you, I'm pretty new to this turkey hunting stuff, but after I shot it I called my dad up and said " I think I shot a big one, I don't know how big, but probably like shooting a 14pt buck" lol. No mount for me, took some pictures, and got the meat in the freezer. I did save the beard and spurs though. I knew it was a nice one when it started working it's way in. Thankfully it gave me a good shot opportunity.

Good luck Zim!
-Jake
Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to everyone that killed a bird or even had the opportunity to hunt. Always look forward to spring turkey season and the contest. It would be great to win this contest just so I could rub it in to my son (DTC Jr) It's been another memorable year for us with some ups and downs. Looking forward to next spring chasing easterns in MO, I get to hunt rios in TX which I haven't done in several years. I also hope to draw that goulds tag in AZ to complete my Royal Slam. I will have 10 points going into the draw so hoping this is my year. Congrats again and good luck to those still hunting!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

No luck this week. I'm done. Great season ya'll.
-Jake
Old 05-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guiding for my wife on her first ever hunt tomorrow morning. I hope the birds cooperate!
Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Strategy worked this morning at 9 AM and I got us ~10 points insurance. I actually got there early and set up my Ghost Blind at 4:30 AM where they have been roosting lately. However, the gobbling was far deeper in the timber. But I stayed there until the gobbling seemed to be moving more to my south, so at 8:30 AM I picked up and relocated closer by about 200 yards. That proved to be key. Three mature toms peeked out of the wood line to my left and cautiously moved out into the cut corn field. I had a while to look them over and chose the third one, as he seemed a bit larger. Shot at 40 yards - 23.75#, 10" beard, 1 1/16 spurs = 65.00. Tail feathers and beard were soaked from the rain so he ain't so pretty.

I'm so glad to be done with the mosquito infested swamp. I got poison ivy on both arms. Every step walking the trail my boot felt like it would be sucked off my foot. But this is where I was seeing the tom action. Weekend warriors wanted nothing to do with this poison ivy and mosquito nightmare swamp. Instead they pounded my plan A upland piney woods spot so I had to look elsewhere. These guys basically exterminated all the toms in the pines. That was a newly added public section that was great for the first 2 years. Then the warriors found it. On my first hunt there this year a group of four of them all came together! That was the writing on the wall.

I'm definitely going to have to be more careful next year if I return to this area.
Attached Thumbnails Team 4 The Rejects-dscn8872.jpg   Team 4 The Rejects-dscn8877.jpg   Team 4 The Rejects-dscn8891.jpg   Team 4 The Rejects-dscn8849.jpg   Team 4 The Rejects-turkeywi2017-6.jpg  

Last edited by Zim; 05-26-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Nice job ZIm, sounds like a great hunt!
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.