Community

Team 4 The Rejects

Old 05-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Jake - is that a NEF 10 ga leaning against the tree?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arrows best bird 'only' scored 57 - we're alone in the lead boys!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

It's a H&R Model 176. It's a beast and holds a nice pattern farther than I'm even comfortable shooting under hunting conditions. It dropped this bird at 46 yards and it never even flopped, just folded up and laid there. Was stone dead by the time I ran over to it, and I did run, I'm always afraid of losing one.

So I hunted tuesday morning, but the wife had plans for me at nine so I had to be out of the woods by 8 to be home by 830. On tuesday I had a hen out in front of me for a while, and got to listen to her talk. It was a good learning experience, as this is my first year calling myself. I didn't hear or see any gobblers though. On Wednesday morning I headed back to the same area that I saw the hen, but set up a little farther down the field edge near where she spent most of her time. Again, she was out in the field, and again I watched her for about forty minutes. After she left I decided I'd move to a different area of the property. I also wanted to set out a game camera on the way there.

So, I headed across the property, set up my camera and headed over to where my second set up would be. I set my decoy out, and started to call. Immediately I heard a gobble, which is the first gobble I've heard all spring. The bird was at the far corner of the field, and below my line of sight, but I kept calling and he kept gobbling and I could tell he was coming my way. I was a little exposed where I was sitting for the direction he was coming from, so I laid down prone in the grass, so just that long barrel end was sticking out into the field... I really didn't want to shoot that ten gauge from that position, but figured it would hide me better.

I saw the turkey in full strut working towards me, then I heard another gobble from my right. I looked up the hill, and perfectly outlined against the blue sky at the top of the field was three red heads. I called a little more, and they started a quick approach to me. Stopping to strut a few times. Every time they stopped, I'd hit the call and they'd start running again.

They hung up at what I thought was about 40 yards, and I decided if any of them started to leave, I'd take a shot at the closest one. The rear bird turned and started heading over towards the first tom that I had seen, so I shot, jumped up, and started running towards the bird. But he was down. Never even flopped. Paced it off at 46 yards. I shot him right about 830 am.

I had an absolute blast. And for my first real year of hunting turkeys, I think I'm addicted. I don't know much about turkeys, but I know he was a nice one. And I think scoring over 70 makes him a pretty good bird.

Extra bonus because it might help us to win this contest!
-Jake
Old 05-19-2017, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
It's a H&R Model 176. It's a beast and holds a nice pattern farther than I'm even comfortable shooting under hunting conditions. It dropped this bird at 46 yards and it never even flopped, just folded up and laid there. Was stone dead by the time I ran over to it, and I did run, I'm always afraid of losing one.

So I hunted tuesday morning, but the wife had plans for me at nine so I had to be out of the woods by 8 to be home by 830. On tuesday I had a hen out in front of me for a while, and got to listen to her talk. It was a good learning experience, as this is my first year calling myself. I didn't hear or see any gobblers though. On Wednesday morning I headed back to the same area that I saw the hen, but set up a little farther down the field edge near where she spent most of her time. Again, she was out in the field, and again I watched her for about forty minutes. After she left I decided I'd move to a different area of the property. I also wanted to set out a game camera on the way there.

So, I headed across the property, set up my camera and headed over to where my second set up would be. I set my decoy out, and started to call. Immediately I heard a gobble, which is the first gobble I've heard all spring. The bird was at the far corner of the field, and below my line of sight, but I kept calling and he kept gobbling and I could tell he was coming my way. I was a little exposed where I was sitting for the direction he was coming from, so I laid down prone in the grass, so just that long barrel end was sticking out into the field... I really didn't want to shoot that ten gauge from that position, but figured it would hide me better.

I saw the turkey in full strut working towards me, then I heard another gobble from my right. I looked up the hill, and perfectly outlined against the blue sky at the top of the field was three red heads. I called a little more, and they started a quick approach to me. Stopping to strut a few times. Every time they stopped, I'd hit the call and they'd start running again.

They hung up at what I thought was about 40 yards, and I decided if any of them started to leave, I'd take a shot at the closest one. The rear bird turned and started heading over towards the first tom that I had seen, so I shot, jumped up, and started running towards the bird. But he was down. Never even flopped. Paced it off at 46 yards. I shot him right about 830 am.

I had an absolute blast. And for my first real year of hunting turkeys, I think I'm addicted. I don't know much about turkeys, but I know he was a nice one. And I think scoring over 70 makes him a pretty good bird.

Extra bonus because it might help us to win this contest!
-Jake

Great story and hunt!! I have been hunting turkeys for about 10 years or so with maybe 1 year about 10 years before I really started hunting them hard and I have only taken 1 over 70 pts and I have that one mounted lol. Be very proud as that is a great bird.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

WTG Bocajnala!!!

Bibleman I am thrilled the call has been used to remove some of the most dangerous animals on the planet- those spurs can cause a mean infection I am sure!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Nice score! 71 at this point in the contest is huge.

I hunted the last two days but had to switch to plan B my swamp spot where nobody else goes. Saw 14 jakes, 2 hens & 1 tom but too far. 3 of the jakes strolled to within 8' of my Ghost Blind. They came in from my calling to the mature tom, who was 80 yards from me. Worst part was both mornings I tripped and fell in ankle deep swamp water. Was soaked but hunted anyway. I'm goin early next time so as not to rush. Also found a different drier entry route. I have patterned these birds including the tom, so expect to get on him when I return Wed/Thurs/Fri. Rain is supposed to end. Still got 2 tags until May 30th. I intend to hunt both weekends & weekdays to the end but just good weather days.

Last edited by Zim; 05-20-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

When does the contest end?
Old 05-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you got a good plan Zim. Hopefully the tom cooperates.
-Jake
Old 05-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great hunt Boca!!!!! I'm with you. I'm relatively new to turkey hunting. I have yet to kill a mature bird. I have shot a few jakes, probably 6 or 7 and my biggest one was this year. Last year with my grandson in youth season, he missed 2 huge gobblers at point blank range. So, I've had some up close and personal experiences with some big boys, just not when it was my turn. A few seasons back I did kill a bearded hen. She had like a 6 inch beard, That was pretty cool. Had her mounted.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
When does the contest end?
I believe it officially ends on June 3, the last day of Maine's Spring season.

99.9% of the scores will likely be posted by June 1, because May 31 is the last day for most of the states still open...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.