Team 4 The Rejects

Old 05-01-2017, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Hey DTC if you could get the measurements up for your first bird I will get it posted
Old 05-01-2017, 07:35 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RPD63
Nice bird DTC. Is DTC Jr. still hunting? We haven't seen much of him over on the team 1 thread.

He got brought back to reality this spring. We made our annual trip to TX, no luck during the MO youth season, and he killed a bearded hen opening morning of season. The weather here has made things rough plus our bird numbers are way down. I will get him out a couple more times before season ends. Maybe he can notch if last tag.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:38 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Hey DTC if you could get the measurements up for your first bird I will get it posted

22 lbs, 10" beard, and 7/8" spurs. I had posted all the info just not all together. Sorry about that.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Alright guys. I'm pretty sure I have all our birds updated on the picture and score thread.

Will yall please double check and make sure I didn't leave any out.

My season here is done with. I was lucky enough to tag out in Kansas and in Oklahoma along with taking my first Eastern. To say it has been an exceptional season would be an understatement. The only downside is how quickly it has all come an gone. I only spent 7 days in the field and finished with 5 birds. Unreal!

The last one (the eastern) came as a buddy pointed me in a few public areas that he said he had heard birds. I set up in the morning with no gobbling coming from the roost but when they hit the ground they were very vocal. They were what sounded like right beside me but down a pretty steep hill and I just couldn't coax any of them to come in for a look. At about 8:30 am it was like a light switch went off and all gobbling stopped.

I sat still till about 10 or so then decided to check a few other spots out since I had never been there. I did the searching till about 2pm with no luck and decided to drive 25 min north to a different WMA. Walked a fence line for about 2 miles and stopped occasionally to do some calling with no luck so I figured I had better get back to the truck and go set up where I had heard them in the morning.

While driving out of the unit I glanced to my right and seen 5 birds. At least 1 had a beard and I could make out 1 hen as they went on alert and hurried back into the timber. I drove a few hundred yards further down and out of sight and snuck out of the truck and into the woods. After a few light calls I could hear the hen and she was not happy. It wasn't long before she was almost on top of me. As she continued to tell me off the others I saw started gobbling...(Game On) They never did show up and eventually she wandered off back to where she came so I quietly got up and snuck around a big hill to get on the other side of them. I did a few calls and they started putting. I though I had blown it but I shut up for about 15 min and hit the high pitched box call again and here she came again looking for a fight. This time however they followed. 4 toms all with over 11" beards. I waited till the last one came in so that I could get a good look at all of them and unfortunately the first was the largest. By the time he wandered back to where I could move the gun toward him the others were less that 10 yrds from me and had noticed something wasn't right. As I slowly tried to aim the first 3 ran right and the last one (which was originally strutting up the rear lol) ran left. Then he stopped and ran right back to where the others were at 10 yards and I dropped him. Not the largest of the group but I am very happy. He has great coloring on the wings and even white streaks going up one of the tail feathers that is kinda neat.

Over all I walked about 15 miles that day. That was after getting up at 2am to make the 3 hr drive. Hunt till I got the bird at 5:30pm and then after showing him off start the drive home where I arrived at 11pm. Awesome experience and I can't wait till next year. Only down side is that part of the state has a 1 bird limit.

Last edited by kellyguinn; 05-02-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome work, fellas! You guys are killing it! I went out this past Friday and Saturday, and again got snake-bit. Heard one bird gobble two times Friday, but he was on private land close to the public that I was hunting. He went away from me with his harem, and never returned...I stayed in the area until about lunch time.

We were on birds most of Saturday...went the other way off the roost. Then we set up on a bird out in the middle of a field, but at the first sound of calling, he spooked off...so much pressure. Then we walked up on a bird, and ended up following him around for a while, but never could close the distance enough. It was a fun morning, but didn't end with a turkey in the truck. These birds I am hunting have been pressured so much, I believe that if I'm going to kill one, I'm gonna have to leave my calls in the truck, and happen to be where they plan to go before they get there. I've been trying to do that anyway, but they keep changing their minds about where they want to go!

Probably on 3-4 more hunts for me... I will continue to do my best to post a score.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi All,

I go out on Wednesday.

I took my son out last Friday (he wanted to hunt the 2 week private-land early season). We set up on private property and had birds gobbling hard off the roost. They had hens hard.

After about 45 min I managed to call in a satellite tom. He came into about 50 yards, gobbled 4-5 times, didn't see a hen (no dekes) and then high-tailed it back the way he came. I cut hard and he cut me off every single time, but he never returned.

30 min later here come a trio of longbeards - 2 sentries and 1 strutter. I told my son to take the strutter when he dropped his fan - he made a good shot and rolled him. Unfortunately, the birds were on a hidden rise about 45 yards away - we both thought the birds were at approximately 35 yards. His 20 gauge is a good 35 yard gun - the Triple Beard (5,6,7 shot) has a nice pattern at 45 yards (cause we tested it) but obviously not enough power at 46 steps. I suspect most of the pattern at that distance is the 7 shot, and pheasant load isn't gonna take out a 3yr old tom at 45 steps (ugh - #epicfaildad). I was sure he finally had his first bird, but only found feathers and no blood. He was bummed, and rightfully so, but I reassured him that he did absolutely nothing wrong, and that the bird was a prizefighter - he took a hard punch and then got up and ran off. I then told him all the stories of birds I've missed and sent him a few online articles from turkey gurus who also miss birds. He's got some self-doubt, but he's only 11 and will go out with me Wednesday to help me get a bird with the 12 ga.

Hopefully I'll have a big old Michigan farm bird on the board soon.

S&R

PS> Kelly- that's one hell of a season! BTW, white streaks up the center tail feathers on Easterns isn't uncommon - probably half my birds have those same white streaks...

Last edited by Strut&Rut; 05-01-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Got a little one this morning. I'll update pictures later today.
-Jake
Old 05-02-2017, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats Bocajnala! look forward to the pics. Anything helps. We are about 1 bird out of the lead.

Good luck Strut&Rut. Even with out getting the bird I'm sure your son is hooked. I'm still trying to get mine to go with me and he is dang near 18. He'll go deer hunting a little but can't talk him into going after turkeys.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job bocajnala! Keep them birds coming!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, heres my first Ohio turkey. I've shot them in PA before, but never as the one calling them in. Since this was my first try at calling myself I wanted to take the first legal one I could. I called for about a minute, and heard them fly down off the roost. Saw three coming in and they came all the way in to my decoy. WHen I shot this one he started flopping, so I jumped up to catch him and ripped almost all of his tail feathers out in the chase but, lesson learned don't try to catch them by the tail. I was really excited and had been sitting in the woods in my spot a grand total of 18 minutes when I shot. I'll be looking for a better bird now in both OH and PA and will be carrying a 10gauge I picked up as well.

Alright, Ya'll tell me if I did this score correctly.... And if not, feel free to tell me what I need to do. First time scoring a turkey I believe.

Updated with spurs at 3/16" Thanks for the help guys.
13lbs
3/16" on spurs = .1875
4" beard.
Total Score=24.75

-Jake
Attached Thumbnails Team 4 The Rejects-unnamed-1-.jpg   Team 4 The Rejects-unnamed-2-.jpg   Team 4 The Rejects-unnamed-3-.jpg   Team 4 The Rejects-unnamed.jpg  

Last edited by Bocajnala; 05-03-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.