Team 3 Slamming Thunder

Old 05-25-2017, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

No worries blessed.
We've all had a tag sandwich or two. You'll bust a big one next season.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by blessed n born to hunt
I'd like to apologize to my team members , I had an awesome season with lots of interaction but in the end I failed to harvest a bird with my crossbow , I should have taken one with my shotgun so I could do my part .looking into a paid for hunt if I can find one , thanks for everything and sorry I let yall down
No worries here and as others have already stated that's hunting for you.. As long as you was safe and enjoyed the hunt that is what counts..

No luck yet guys and it is raining again this morning.. Damn I wish it would stay away for 3 days.. I have to get a tire replaced this morning anyways .. I had the sidewall blow out on me yesterday and that donut that they put in for a spare will not do the trick..

Wednesday I tried my luck at calling and had 4 jakes and 2 hens go by.. None of them gobbled.. I tried there again early in the morning yesterday and nothing.. They have a bad case of lock jaw here for some reason.. So I took a drive to camp and saw 7 different hens on the way. 4 of them were close to my camp.. But I couldn't call that big tom out to me there either.. So I split some soft wood for my fire pit as some company will be there tonight. Now my camp is 53 miles up a dirt road with fields most the way from powerlines on one side and a natural gas pipeline on the other side. I was expecting to see more hens than what I saw on the way out and never laid an eye on any toms up or back.. I did take around a 3 mile journey up in back on another dirt road to a place where I have see a few decent toms. I went in and tried calling for about 3 hours and nothing. As I was getting up and ready to go a big tom took running. He looked to have 2 beards on him. I fired but never touched him.. It wasn't the best shot one could take as he was running threw the woods on me. But figured as well as they have been acting I may as well try to get him.. Sorry guys but that is how it has been going as well as a flat tire around 15 miles from home.. That was not such a good way to end the day..
Old 05-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Well team, I did get my final tag filled in neb. 17.3 lbs, one beard 9 1/4" and one 7 1/4 ", 3/4" spurs. No need for pics unless you guys want to see.
Was a great season for me taking 9 longbeards in 4 different states . Was fun as always hunting with you all on the team. Now the long wait for 2018 season.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a great season.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

I'll update with the "story" later...

Yesterday:

This was an OLD bird!! I'm sure he weighed more in his prime. He was BEAT UP!

Eastern
Kansas
Shotgun

22.4 pounds
Right 1 3/16
Left 1 1/8
Beard 11.5
Attached Thumbnails Team 3 Slamming Thunder-bird-3.jpg   Team 3 Slamming Thunder-bird2.jpg   Team 3 Slamming Thunder-bird1.jpg  
Old 05-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by camokenny
Well team, I did get my final tag filled in neb. 17.3 lbs, one beard 9 1/4" and one 7 1/4 ", 3/4" spurs. No need for pics unless you guys want to see.
Was a great season for me taking 9 longbeards in 4 different states . Was fun as always hunting with you all on the team. Now the long wait for 2018 season.
If you don't mind, go ahead and send a picture. I know we aren't going to win the contest, but I would like to get a total score for the team. looks like we will end up with the most birds killed and the highest total score.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations guys on the birds as well as everyone who has scored for our team.. I sure wish there was a way we could pull a win off. I know we had all the right players to but sometimes it just doesn't come together.. I have been out hitting it hard but not hearing a sound.. I have had a nice tom hanging around my camp but he wouldn't play unless it is a Sunday which we can't hunt. I took the time to get a picture of him while he was going by the driveway at the camp.. Yesterday I thought finally it was going to come together with a pair of hens talking back to me with my pot call. Then I caught movement out of the corner of my eye as a coyote was sneaking in. I kept an eye on him and he stopped up while crouching down at around 55 yards.. I could barely see an ear twitching. I continued to watch him and after around ten minutes he started to move like he may have winded me so I let him have a number 6 3 inch Winchester Supreme load right between the eyes.. He took a running with his tail spinning and collapsed as he entered the woods. Not a yelp or nothing out of it. It turned out being a dry female so she will not be having any more pups or eating turkeys eggs and fawns anymore.. Here is 3 pictures 1 of the big turkey that wouldn't play and the other 2 of the coyote that came in.. I wish we could use her to score with then we would of won.. I will still be trying the next couple of mornings but it doesn't look good for us guys! Again thanks for having me as captain!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-31-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stopping over from the Rejects - some of you guys have really slayed them this year!

Phil - you've seen that bird multiple times at your camp. It would appear you've got the start of a pattern - and your calling may be changing his routine. In my experience in the Northeast, the birds may stay very quiet with dogs around. Late in the season these birds are best attacked and harvested by an ambush with no calling and no dekes - and calling may actually send them in a different direction.

If you routinely see that Tom around your camp between 10-2 (or whatever time he's there), then merely set up in that area where you know he travels - the gobblers are there but they are cruising silently looking for hens. He's likely also cruising the edges of fields or clearcurs, where he can eat, dust and see predators and hens. If he gets close but just outside of range you can try a very soft cluck and purr.

I can see hooks in that picture - good luck!
Old 05-31-2017, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not so sure now Strut&Rut as they have recently started a logging operation right out behind the camp a short ways. That will be moving those birds again and with the time running out it would be hard trying to relocate them and pattern them again..
Old 06-01-2017, 01:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

camokenny's last bird! WOW! You and superstrutter have laid the smack down on those thunder chickens!! Congrats to you both as well as the entire team.. I hope that some of us will be back on a team again next year! I will update camo's bird once I get all the photos in.. Thanks to all of you that went out and hunted whether you scored or not. I have been passing on those jakes after my first one.. But today anything goes as my season winds down..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-01-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.