Team 2 Strut Stoppers

Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Spike

I hunted Thursday and friday I finally heard some gobbling I had one within about 100yrds but he had hens and would not even look my way then right after I got on another bird he had hens also but would respond I chased him for an hour trying to get in front of him but walked up on another hunter so I back off and tried to circle the other direction and he went quite.

But my hunting maybe over for the season, try not to bust me out too much but friday when I got home I was having trouble with my push mower and got it running and went in the house for few mins to make sure it was going to keep running good and went back outside and decided I needed to look at the blade and see if it needed sharpening so I went to tip it up on it's side fusing the bottom of the deck and needless to say it was running and lost the tip of my left middle finge along with about 1/2" of bone and part of the finger print pad on another. I no, how could I have done that and I still don't have an answer. Seen plastic surgeon today and they are going to give it 10 days to heal on it's own and if it doesn't I will have to have a skin graph on the middle finger or if it has tissue to die off because of all the damage it my have to be amputated at the first knuckle.

I am still kicking myself over this but I'm not the first person to do this nor will I be the last but that really doesn't matter it was a bone head moment that should never had happened.

He didn't say I couldn't hunt but but he really didn't say I could so I may go this morning and see how much pain it causes and that will decide for me if I go back.

Sorry folks
Old 05-03-2016, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigc870, we all do bone head things in our lifetime. Glad it was not any more serious. Take care and listen to your doctor's advice.
Get em next season.
Ray
Old 05-03-2016, 11:46 AM
Spike

RPD63 I do consider myself very lucky I could have pulled back 4 numbs.

When I asked the DR if I could go turkey hunting all I got was a look from him like a disapproval look but no words.

If my finger feels alright later tonight (which I doubt) I may go tomorrow and/or Thursday morning. And if I don't hear anything with the finger in the shape it is in I will call it a season even through it goes out on Sunday. I probably shouldn't even go but I feel I have to give it at least one more try for my own satisfaction, but if the finger starts hurting very much during the hunt I just pack up and go home and I will just call it quits for the season.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bigc870
RPD63 I do consider myself very lucky I could have pulled back 4 numbs.

When I asked the DR if I could go turkey hunting all I got was a look from him like a disapproval look but no words.

If my finger feels alright later tonight (which I doubt) I may go tomorrow and/or Thursday morning. And if I don't hear anything with the finger in the shape it is in I will call it a season even through it goes out on Sunday. I probably shouldn't even go but I feel I have to give it at least one more try for my own satisfaction, but if the finger starts hurting very much during the hunt I just pack up and go home and I will just call it quits for the season.

Hope you can go and put the smack down on one.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Im headed to Nebraska this Sunday. Cant wait to hunt some Merriams and Rios
Old 05-07-2016, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster
Im headed to Nebraska this Sunday. Cant wait to hunt some Merriams and Rios
Sounds like fun. Good luck. I'm really wanting to head out to Nebraska or Texas for a Rio hunt. You hunting public or private land?
Ray
Old 05-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Spike

I decided my finger was more important than a turkey, the finger is messed up pretty bad and still very painful. If I was to fall and stick it out there to catch myself I am afraid I would do more damage to it. It is not heeling at all as far as I can tell there is no skin trying to grow back on the edges or anything trying to scab over. On the 11th he will decided whether I need a skin graph or maybe more of it cut off so he can close the wound.

Sorry about this folks be stuff happens even very stupid stuff. I still feel like the village idiot!!!!

I hope all you folks still hunting have enjoyable hunts and to everyone be safe hunting or any where else!!

Hope ya'll can carry me this year by the looks of it everyone is doing really good.

I will still be checking in to see how everyone is doing. My season officially goes out Sunday (tomorrow).
Old 05-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take care of that finger and get after them next spring.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

We had a great trip to NE! These merriams finished up DTC Jr's
calendar grand slam. These birds worked like you want them too.
We've traveled many miles, spent more money than I wanted too, but the memories and time afield with him are priceless.

Bird #1 weighed 22 lbs, 9" beard, with 1 1/8" spurs
Bird #2 weighed 21 lbs, 9" & 3" beards, 1 1/4" spurs
Attached Thumbnails Team 2 Strut Stoppers-img_0869.jpg   Team 2 Strut Stoppers-img_0880.jpg  
Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations to you both. Pretty looking place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.