Team 2 Strut Stoppers

Old 04-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Spike

Sorry I haven't been around been hunting alot.

This is by far the worst starting week I have ever had!!! I have not heard one bird gobble!!!!!!!! Not even on roust!!! The birds are there because I am finding scratch and have covered may miles of woods out looking around later in the morning.
"I also do some run and gun around 10:30-11am to try at get one to gobble but at 1pm you have to quit hunting.

I don't know what is going on I always hear birds every trip out, they may not work but I hear them.

I keep thinking what am I doing wrong but I can't really think of anything, I have been going to proven hunting ground and going to a few places I have never been because the hunting was so terrible at the usual spots.

I did hear on a radio station that has an outdoor report during deer and turkey season and they say the birds are henned up really bad but that don't explain at least to me why they aren't at least gobbling on roust.

I need some help guys as far as getting them to gobble. I have tried setting and listening, locator calls, turkey calls slamming the door and blowing the horn and none get a gobble.

I am mostly hunting the ozarks of Missouri around the Van buren area and have tried I few spots more north and east.

Also I hunt around 70-90 miles from my house depending on where I go so going out there in the evening and trying to put one to bed is not really an option.

Also if anyone knows some spots around where I hunt to try I am open to it. I hunt anywhere from Marble hill to Winona.

Congrats to everyone that has take bird and good luck to those still hunting!!!!!

Last edited by bigc870; 04-25-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep at it Bigc870, it will happen. I went six trips this season without hearing a single gobble.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckman11, I added your kill to the photo and score page so superstrutter can add it to our totals.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you much!
Old 04-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Spike

Well been hunting a couple of times since my last post and I have not heard any gobbling. I have talked to alot of hunters and they all say the same thing the turkeys are not gobbling much at all but they say if you get one that does you have a very good chance of killing him.

I am going to go out again tomorrow and see what happens.

I have never really got out there much and set up a couple of decoys and just sit and hope one will come roaming by but I think I am going to do more of that now since they are not gobbling.

Any advice on hunting like this? Like how often to call and should I yelp when I call or just purr and cut some or just switch it up each time I call?

Even though this has been by far the worst spring turkey season I have ever had I am not giving up, I'll be all in until the final day of season.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I have nothing gobbling in the area I hunt, I just set up with a hen decoy and so some light calling....normally just cuts and purrs.
Stay on em, it sure beats setting at home.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't hear any Monday morning in Missouri. Tuesday they lit it up, but they are henned up real bad
Old 04-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome buckman and RPD
Old 04-28-2016, 06:38 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

You guys should know that rooms are booked and tags are bought for NE. I have decided to take DTC Jr for his calendar slam. We leave next week to chase merriams.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's cool. Hope you guys have a great hunt. Public land or private?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.